mouse pointer size

Just curious if it's only me, but the mouse icon is crazy small in HighDPI. I have a "large inverted" mouse pointer and it's sweet until I hover into PDN. Where it drops to what feels like 10 pixels and washed out (especially over the gray background). Hasn't stopped me from buying the App in the Windows store though :). Love this tool, daily.

Edited by Michael Lowden
point to pointer
  • Like 1

--forget PhotoShop or PaintShopPro .. THIS is the only tool the most of us need.

Can you go into settings :Settings:,  click the Diagnostics tab, and click the "Copy to clipboard" button.  Then, come paste that information into a forum post?

That would be awesome.

BTW, I've found the best way to track the cursor on the gray background is to switch to the Dark Theme: Settings :Settings:, User Interface, Dark Theme.

This usually happens when you have a mixed-DPI setup with multiple monitors, or if you've been changing the DPI, either directly or by docking your laptop or something.

If you sign out and sign back in, it'll go back to normal.

High-DPI is something that has been improving, and will keep improving. So keep installing those updates!

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 6 months later...

I have the same problem, and do NOT have a mixed DPI setup.   I run triple 4k monitors, all at 175%.  I am running under Windows 10 x64, build 1803.  Paint.net pointers that come from Windows 10 scale correctly.  Paint.net pointers that come solely from paint.net do not scale, and are tiny.  This is compounded by the grey background -- the pointer is very easily lost in the grey wasteland.

I very much appreciate Paint.net, but suggest two things:

1) A very easy to implement workaround would be a setting to allow the user to change the default background.  (I shouldn't have to change the entire OS theme to black just to make the pointers visible in Paint.net !!)

2) The more time-intensive fix is to code support for scaling the pointers up.  I feel this should be a priority as more and more of us move to high-DPI monitors, especially folks that do graphics work at this point.

Thanks

• Like 1

Scaling the pointers is actually very easy for to do in the code. However, they would be blurry. It may be better than being tiny though ...

The reason they're tiny at 175% is that I've code them to scale with respect to the integer floor of the scaling. This avoids blurring (via bilinear resampling) or objective ugliness (via nearest neighbor). The floor of 1.75 is 1.0, so you get the original size. If you were at 200% then the cursors would be doubled in size (with respect to pixels).

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/19/2018 at 10:08 AM, BoltBait said:

BTW, I've found the best way to track the cursor on the gray background is to switch to the Dark Theme: Settings :Settings:, User Interface, Dark Theme.

I know you posted this a long time ago, but I am new to paint.net and when I went searching for this problem this is what came up. Anyway wanted to thank you for a quick and easy answer to the problem.