Extracting logo from background

Ally Johnson

Good day.

I am trying to find out how to pull a logo off the white background so I can place it on top of another image.

How do I do this?

Logo 6.gif

Hello @Ally Johnson and Welcome to the forum :)

FYI - your posted image is larger than we allow - sorry.

But to answer your question, you can simply use the magic wand, set to Global, then hit delete.  If you save the image to .png, you will have a transparent background to use thereafter :)

transparent.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

One thing I would suggest if using the HSV Eraser with this image is to set the Match Color to white, and Portion of Non-Erased Color to Preserve to 1.00. I think that will produce better edges.

• Like 2

The problem with using the Grim Color Reaper is that it will leave the remaining logo semi-transparent unless the the colors are fully saturated -- which in this example they're not.

Also, not to push my own plugins, but for many cases, my Color Clearer is better than the Grim Color Reaper. It would, though, have the same problem when applied for this purpose, since the goal of both plugins is to replace as much of the selected color as possible with transparency. Non-saturated colors contain white, which can be removed. (I'll add that when removing white from opaque images, the Grim Color Reaper and the Color Clearer do almost exactly the same thing; it's when removing other colors, or when there's transparency, that the Color Clearer may do a better job.)

As you clearly state; the Grim Color Reaper, the Color Cleaner, and (just tested by me) Kill Color Keeper plugins, do about the same on non-saturated images.
When testing all three plugins I noticed the semi-transparency in the final results of each. The best fix that I found was using Red Ocher's Tweak Transparency plugin after using any of the color clearing plugins! 

Another approach is to select the white background with the Magic Wand in global mode with a high enough tolerance that the edge pixels are selected, then run the Grim Color Reaper or the Color Clearer. The white will be removed, and the edges will be made semi-transparent, making them smoother. (That's more or less what the HSV Eraser does when the non-erased color is preserved.)

• 1 year later...

Here's how you can do this more precisely using only the Curves+ plugin by pyrochild.

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/7291-pyrochild-plugins-2017-12-04/

1. Original Image (Layer 1)
    1. Duplicate to Layer 2
  2. Switch to Layer 2
    1. Magic Wand Select (Global, 0% tolerance) background
      1. Delete
    2. Adjustments -> Hue / Saturation
      1. Lightness: -100
    3. Magic Wand Select (Contiguous, 0% tolerance) portions of Layer 2 that are the same color as each other
      1. Switch to Layer 1
      2. Copy
      3. Paste into new Layer 3 (or 4, 5, 6, etc.)
    4. Repeat previous Step 2.3 for each distinct color in Layer 2
  3. Switch to Layer 3 (or 4, 5, 6, etc.)
    1. Adjustments -> Black and White
    2. Magic Wand Select (Global, 0% tolerance) background
      1. Delete
    3. Use color picker to select the greyscale color of the portions in Layer 3
    4. Expand Colors -> More
    5. Adjustments -> Curves+ (by pyrochild) -> Advanced
      1. In: Value / Brightness
      2. Out: Alpha)
      3. Invert the Curve, straight diagonal line from top left (0,255) to bottom right (255, 0)
      4. Adjust the curve with a third point to the greyscale value (from the color picker) on the top edge (<value>, 255)
      5. Note: if the original image background wasn't white
        1. You'll probably need to set a fourth point on the bottom edge to the greyscale value of the background (<value>, 0)
    6. Magic Wand Select (Global, 0% tolerance) background
      1. Delete
    7. Adjustments -> Hue / Saturation
      1. Lightness: -100
    8. Switch to Layer 1
      1. Use color picker to select the color of the portions in Layer 3
      2. Expand Colors -> More
    9. Switch back to Layer 3
    10. Adjustments -> Curves+ (by pyrochild) -> RGB
      1. Select Red ONLY, adjust the curve to the R: value on the left edge (0, <red value from color picker>)
      2. Select Green ONLY, adjust the curve to the G: value on the left edge (0, <green value from color picker>)
      3. Select Blue ONLY, adjust the curve to the B: value on the left edge (0, <blue value from color picker>)
  4. Repeat  Steps 3.1 to 3.10 for each layer created in step 2.3

Note: If the different colors overlap with each other, you'll need to find a solution to fix the borders at the overlaps (e.g. use lasso select to copy from the original image).

Edited by Keith Turkowski