Add an animated gif, add other elements, and save as animated gif?

I'm trying to create an image that has an existing animated gif file.  If I drag in the gif and create it as a layer, it doesn't retain the animation.  

I did drop the Animated Image plugin dll to the FileTypes folder, but if I go to save the file, it doesn't have the .agif option.  

is there a way to retain the animation of the gif and then save it as an animated gif?  

Hello @MohnJadden and Welcome to PDN :D

Yes, you can open an animated Gif into PDN. 

First, you must right click on the Gif and choose 'Save As' then add this code :RightArrowBlue: .agif  - to the end of the Gif's file name.  Also, change the' Save As Type' to 'All Files.'

i.e. it will look something like this:  animated-cat-image-0079.gif.agif

Open PDN and search for your renamed file - Go to Open and upload the Gif.  It should then open up all of the Gif into layers.

FYI - here is a tutorial on how to use Midora's Animated Gif Maker.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I'm trying to open up a gif with the layers exposed, but I don't seem to have Save As in the R-Click Menu. Ideas?

I figured it out. You simply copy and paste the file (to retain the original), and edit the name and replace .gif with .agif. I want to say i've done this before, and just had a brain freeze.

Edited by tome10

<3 Dear @Pixey! I give you a big hug thank you very much,  KISSKISS.gif  I learned something new again, works wonderfully. 

652973.gif  Thank you, thank you, thank you....  :cake: :coffee:

• Like 1

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

• 4 years later...

Greetings!  I have been playing with PDN for a few years, but just decided to join the forum.

Currently using PDN 5.0.2

I cannot make this work.  Using win10, cannot do SaveAs from the Dropdown.  Did the Copy and then Rename suggested above.  Tried "OpenWith" on the new AGIF file, but PDN does not appear in the DropdownList.  Did ChooseAnother and selected PDN.  PDN opened and give me a message that "Image type not recognized and cannot be opened."  Tried by first running PDN and trying to open the file internally. In the list of files to open, PDN lists only image file type or "all image files."  There is not even an option for "All Files, *.*" so I cannot even SEE the file to try and open it.

Any ideas?

Much appreciated.

3 hours ago, HankP said:

Any ideas?

Are you trying to make an animated gif in paint.net, or are you trying to open a gif already made?

Perhaps watching this video will be of help:

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I am trying to harvest the individual frames from an existing animated GIF file.  In particular, I have an animated historical map with about 50 frames representing an historical progression of events, and I want to capture still images from two particular points in time.

I FOUND a workaround, but it is cumbersome and uses outside software.  I open the file in Easy GIF Animator, then go to the frame that I want (as if I were intending to edit that frame).  Then I SelectAll of that frame and Copy the Selection into PDN.  Since I wanted two points in time, I did this twice and copied each Selection into a new PDN Layer.  Voila!

PDN is just so sophisticated that I thought I could just somehow open the animated GIF and grab the two frames in one easy step.

I should have been more specific.  Thanks for trying!

22 minutes ago, HankP said:

I FOUND a workaround, but it is cumbersome and uses outside software.  I open the file in Easy GIF Animator, then go to the frame that I want (as if I were intending to edit that frame).  Then I SelectAll of that frame and Copy the Selection into PDN. 

But you can do this in PDN.  Right click on the Map Gif, select the Save As 'All types' in the drop down, then type .agif at the end of the address, and save to your computer.  i.e. say the Map Gif is called:  Mapgif.gif - you add .agif - "Mapgif.gif.agif".

Open paint.net and import the file you added .agif to.  It will then open up all of the layers in paint.net.  Then you can copy whichever layer you want :) 

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

Thanks again for trying to help.

I use win10 still.  When I RightClick the file in Windows' FileExplorer, I DO get a dropdown menu, but "SaveAs" is NOT an option.  That was the first thing I tried, as outlined above.  Because that option was not available to me, I also tried the "copy and rename" process, described above.  The resulting file is visible in WinFileExplorer, but when I go to "Open Files" in PDN, I cannot even see the (purportedly) .AGIF file, presumably because PDN does not recognize it as an image file.

I did confirm that the Open dialog in PDN is looking for "all files."  It is.  It just is not seeing the new .AGIF file.

I also tried to just drag the .AGIF into PDN.  Normally, PDN then asks whether to open as a separate file or add as a layer, and I DO get that dialog.  I click "open as new file," and PDN ruminates for a second or two and then tell me that it does not recognize the file type.

Any other ideas?

25 minutes ago, midora said:

The support of animated GIFs is not part of the paint.net installation. You have to install a filetype plugin.

Sorry @HankP I had assumed you had already downloaded @midora 's plugin.

Anyway, I've made a quick video for you.  I have noticed that recently when one saves the gif with the appendage .agif, you have to 'hover' over it to see the change was made, which I demonstrate in the video.  

30b8T8B.gif