Printing To Vinyl Issue

Hi-

We designed a sheet of individual graphics for printing to vinyl stock with pigmented latex inks.

I saved as PNG and converted to PDF and emailed file to print source a long way off.

Today, I get a reply back from the source saying they'll print fine 'but if you want us to adjust the

image to hit a certain color this file type will be difficult to work with' was their response.

I've no idea what they are talking about.

Furthermore, our plan is to use a straight edge and circle templates to cut the individual images

out.

I'm hoping someone here can help me along with this...any direction and/or advice is greatly 

appreciated.

Thanks.

CheeHyd 1st Prt - Copy.png

Printers use CMYK inks, and your image(s) use RGB.

There's no 1:1 conversion between the two color models, so when it's printed, the colors you see on your monitor won't 100% match the colors on the printed vinyl.  It will probably be close enough though; depends on how picky you are.

Ask the print shop to provide you with a proof, so you can ensure the vinyl will be printed to your satisfaction.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

2 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Printers use CMYK inks, and your image(s) use RGB.

Thanks, 'toe'... yeah, we had told them about that CMYK vs. RGB concern.

To print that single sheet, unlaminated, was only $30. The guy responded

that the clarity and sharpness at 300 DPI would be very good- said the file 

provided excellent clarity.

So, as you mentioned regarding the 1:1 aspect, is there anything I can do to

provide the print shop with anything better?...I guess it's fair to assume the

RGB, HSV, Opacity, and Hex values would be worthless to them.

I'm looking for suggestions for improvement, do you have any?...

That attachment above doesn't illustrate how well the package turned out,

IMO.

Thanks

CheeHyd 1st Prt.png

4 hours ago, Timbo128 said:

is there anything I can do to

provide the print shop with anything better?...

Paint.net works in the RGB colorspace. The colors are not going to  be 100% accurate when printed, but you'll struggle to detect the differences.

If you really want to have 100% accurate colors, then an image editor that exports CYMK would be your best bet. Unfortunately that's not paint.net.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Paint.net works in the RGB colorspace. The colors are not going to  be 100% accurate when printed, but you'll struggle to detect the differences.

If you really want to have 100% accurate colors, then an image editor that exports CYMK would be your best bet. Unfortunately that's not paint.net.

Thank you, we're aware that Pint.net works in RGB colorspace... it seems to be most affected at fairly extreme ends of the spectrum.

We've found a bit of a workaround exporting RGB to Adobe Acrobat Pro and managing colors and converting to CMYK there.

We're going to have a meeting with the printing source tomorrow and he's going to explain all of this to me, along with current trends in the

printing industry. He's already told me I'm thinking about it too much.

Can't hardly ask for a color sample on a $30 job... so we'll learn a $30 lesson.

The issue I am having is the 'neon' green in the text is washing to a softer hue... we've just got some learning to do and we look forward to it.

Again, thanks.