[WON'T FIX] Default to a lossless format after editing instead of the source format. (which doesn't make sense)

Hi!

I don't think it makes sense to the source format after I edited the image, if it's a lossy format. After I crop/resize an image I mostly want it losslessly.

Even worse that I often accidentally overwrite the source file in these cases, which can't be recovered because it was lossy.

In general I think it would make sense saving to work as save as (with a prompt, defaulting to png) in this case too, just like with a new file.

Edited by avada

I disagree. You need to plan your workflow to account for this, rather than relying on paint.net to save you.

Here's what I do: I open an image and immediately decide if this edit will overwrite the original. If I want to keep the original, I use File >Save As... to specify a new filename and format before I do any editing.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2016. 10. 23. at 8:04 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I disagree. You need to plan your workflow to account for this, rather than relying on paint.net to save you.

Here's what I do: I open an image and immediately decide if this edit will overwrite the original. If I want to keep the original, I use File >Save As... to specify a new filename and format before I do any editing.

Your rationale would only make sense if only robots would use paint.net which isn't the case. Usually people press ctrl+s reflexively, in which case you end up overwriting a lossy file unrecovaribly. At least with lossy files you can recover the original, by undoing everything and saving it. The inability to undo a step with an image editor sucks a lot.

If the user could specify a default save format, it would prevent such unexpected things from happening, but that's not possible either as far as I can tell.

On 2016. 10. 26. at 5:37 PM, Rick Brewster said:

Handy shortcut: Ctrl+Shift+S = Save As

I'm aware of that. Yet if you press ctrl+s there's no going back, no matter if you decide to "save as" after. Well, the quality prompt helps a bit. (Not sure if it appeared for edited jpg-s when I reported this)

The default settings in paint.net are designed to preserve data integrity.

New single layered images are recommended to be saved as lossless PNG while multi-layered images are saved as PDN. This ensures data integrity.

When you open an existing image and edit it, it is only natural to save it in the same format by default. Which paint.net does provided the saved image conforms to the original format (you can't save mutli-layered images as a JPG without flattening to a single layer).

Take responsibility for your edits to an original image: either use Save As immediately to specify a new filename, or import the image into a new blank canvas. Paint.net is not going to stop you if you want to open-crop-save (as original) as this is exactly how paint.net is frequently used.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016. 11. 15. at 0:21 AM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

The default settings in paint.net are designed to preserve data integrity.

New single layered images are recommended to be saved as lossless PNG while multi-layered images are saved as PDN. This ensures data integrity.

When you open an existing image and edit it, it is only natural to save it in the same format by default. Which paint.net does provided the saved image conforms to the original format (you can't save mutli-layered images as a JPG without flattening to a single layer).

Take responsibility for your edits to an original image: either use Save As immediately to specify a new filename, or import the image into a new blank canvas. Paint.net is not going to stop you if you want to open-crop-save (as original) as this is exactly how paint.net is frequently used.

The way I see it neither this usage, nor how paint.net functions makes sense. If you edit a jpeg or any other image you're effectively creating a new image.
What this doctrine of yours achieves is multiple lossy encoding passes, and information loss and nothing more.

12 hours ago, avada said:

If you edit a jpeg or any other image you're effectively creating a new image.

I disagree. I do a lot of web design with multiple edits to images. It's the same image until I say differently.

When you fit a set of mag wheels to your car you don't change the registration number. It's the same car right?

Paint.net is doing the same thing. It's up to you to tell paint.net "this edit makes this a new image".

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016. 11. 24. at 10:09 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I disagree. I do a lot of web design with multiple edits to images. It's the same image until I say differently.

When you fit a set of mag wheels to your car you don't change the registration number. It's the same car right?

Paint.net is doing the same thing. It's up to you to tell paint.net "this edit makes this a new image".

I don't think poor comparisons reinforce your point. Anyway, if pdn devs insist on counter intuitive behavior, then arguing about it won't help.
Feel free to close this thread.

PS:

Since settings page talsk about e-mails, one might expect get e-mails when subscribing to topics, which is clearly not the case. I only remembered this topic because I got screwed by this issue again. The change preference options at http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/followed/ make no sense, since in practice it's always "Do not send me any notifications"