How to do a transparent border?

Hello and Welcome.  Perhaps this tutorial may be of help ....... just make the rectangle/square fit more closely over the image:  http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/107031-glass-pane-newer-edition/

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

There's got to be an easy (automated) way to do this.

In CSS, that's called an 'inset box shadow'. I don't think sure such a function exists in .NET.

I'll see if I can hack something together.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

^That should work. I forgot about that plugin.

Set the Softness to 1 in TR's QuickOutliner. Then you'll need to use Gaussian Blur (Clamped), instead of the regular Gaussian Blur (otherwise color bleeding will happen).

That should give the exact same effect that's in your example image.

Edited by toe_head2001

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Similar to Eli's suggestion:

Add a layer

Run PyroChild's Effects>Render>Border N' Shapes (on new layer), adjusting Width for desired border thickness.

Use Magic Wand to select center area.

Apply Effects>Blurs>Gaussian Blur, adjusting Radius for desired fade.

Reverse selection

Erase Selection.

Flatten image.

Edited by MJW

Ahhh - yes, so much easier doing the above steps than the tutorial.  I too had forgotten about that plugin.

You could also add a white border on a new layer and change the mode to get an interesting contrast.  I used 'difference' to get this:

N9LEVFz.png1E8pSbP.png

Difference                                                              Plain

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I've thought of a way to completely automate this in code. I'll write the actual code tonight. 

I will be glad to give any sugestions like been able to control and draw the frame at a desired distance from the edge. As well as been able to control the width, color and transparency of the shaded frame.  :)

Edited by Eli

• 3 weeks later...