Need advice on transparent imaging of white objects

When I remove the background in order to "cut out" an object and have it as a stand-alone image, I end up with a white background that I end up using the magic wand to get rid of when I want to use the image later.  Not usually a problem.  But when the object has any white in it that matches the white background, it gets erased along with the background.  Is there a way of cutting out an image and then putting it on a solid background that isn't white, or any other color that's within the image, so I can eliminate the background without eliminating parts of the image?

Edited by ECPainter

Once you have removed just the background, save the image as a PNG. JPG's do not support transparency - which is the usual cause of blocks of white/black.

Once you have removed just the background, save the image as a PNG. JPG's do not support transparency - which is the usual cause of blocks of white/black.

I don't get blocks of white or black.  What's happening is that white parts of the image is being eliminated along with the white background when I eliminate the white background.  I was just curious if I could cut out an image and then have the new background be something other than white.

Yes, you can cut out the background you don't want.  Use the Magic wand to select the white and use the Tolerance Bar in the top toolbar, to regulate how much white is being selected:  Save the image as .png then the backgound will remain transparent for future use.

EGGNdtA.png

For perusing subjects in the forum, here is a great search link.

Edited by Pixey

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Ref: http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/MagicWand.html

Make sure that the Flood Mode is set to Contiguous and not Global. Global selects all the pixels in the layer/image that satisfy the Tolerance. You don't want that, you want Contiguous.

Then as Pixey said, lower the Tolerance until just the background is selected.

Yes, you can cut out the background you don't want.  Use the Magic wand to select the white and use the Tolerance Bar in the top toolbar, to regulate how much white is being selected:  Save the image as .png then the backgound will remain transparent for future use.

EGGNdtA.png

For perusing subjects in the forum, here is a great search link.

Will do.  Thank you!