How do you make a picture like this??

It's quite possible. To achieve the affect you will most likely use the line/curve tool on a new layer. After which you would erase the various parts to give it the 3D look, and then use the Drop Shadow plugin to give it more of a realistic texture.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

Lol, I'm a beginner when it comes to all this.

Do you mean the Curve button?

Because that just changed the colors of my entire picture.

Actually, I think Yata meant use this ( :LineCurveTool: ) tool in the tool window. Click on the handles to move it. :wink:

Where can I find the Drop Shadow download?

=]

looking....

EDIT:I think this is it. I'll keep looking, just in case.

EDIT#2:forgot to add the link. :oops: Ah well, Yata has the correct link. :)

Click on my signature image for my gallery | hmmmm...

I was referring to the Line/Cuve tool located on the Tools window. You'll need to use it to draw your lines.

After you have your lines drawn just erase the excess and apply a few drop shadows for the correct effect. You might have some cleaning up to do after applying these, too.

The Drop Shadow Plugin is part of a plugin framework. Download it here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22881&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

This is a little redundant considering the following topic explains all that's been done so here by Yata, but it's worth the read as one post, by screenmutt, contains a Photoshop tutorial for this very effect.

What's more, the topic also gives example images like some already posted here from -Expiration- and 007 Nab.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22010&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&

It was a poor title choice on their part, the desired result is practically identical to this one here. Have a gander further down the topic.

By the way, I too could not find it, so I searched for the title of my uploaded images to find it using the Forum search, not the search engine - 'Spiral' was the title of my image, and I narrowed down to posts made my myself with that term.

What are having trouble with? You appear to have a good start on the go with the placement of the lines around the figures. However, I would suggest a little practice with the Line / Curve tool. Did you know that you can achieve a smoother curve if you adjust the numbs (the line 'handles') with the right mouse button instead of the left?

Give that a whirl first, tell us what you're confused on as well, and we'll work on from there.

The problem with what you're doing is that you're doing it on a single layer. You want to have three layers; going from topo to bottom, you want a lines layer, a person layer and a background layer. Draw the lines on the lines layer, then use drop shadow, then erase the parts you want to be "behind" the people. You're doing this: Drwaing the lines on the same layer as the photo, then using the eraser, which, since it's on only one layer, erases part of the photo as well as the lines, then you're using drop shadow. So you've got an image with lines and holes in it, with a shadow, whereas you want an image where you have a line that seems to wrap around the figure, and the line has a drop shadow.

Also, for a better effect, try using a light colour, not a dark colour as you have.

For this one, I just took the same image you already supplied, and did the lines on a new layer, then lasso selected the areas to cut out where it went behind her. Then, I gaussian blurred slightly and median blurred the tips so they come more to a point, and did the linear reflected gradient from center to the top.

11001_c4bfa6e94010fb2d243130a1630a4a63