Wondering if there is an image maximum size limit?

I am in a situation where I need to extract large jpeg image files and then annotate with text. I find that the zoom capabilties and manueverability quite impressive with paint.net however when attempting to edit or layer jpegs in the >2 MB range i get an out of memory error. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The limit is (2^16)-1 in either dimension, which makes for 16GB if you choose it in both directions.

So, ushorts for width and height..?

probably larger than you'll ever need though :wink:

edit: I tested a 8192 by 8192 full-white picture but the PNG exporter threw an "unspecified error", why would that be?

I would write plugins, if I knew what kind of plugins were needed.. :(

If you have ridiculously much RAM (say, 32GB+? 'cause you need than the actual size for it to be allocatable as 1 piece) you could run into the maximum dimensions though (which is, as far as I've been able to see, 65535x65535, the "new" dialog does not appear to accept any higher values)

I would write plugins, if I knew what kind of plugins were needed.. :(

There is an "out of memory error" post sticky'd in the Troubleshooting forum. :-) Take a look.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.