'How to use brushes' tutorials?

Sound Of Vision

Ok, I used Search and I couldn't find this kind of tutorial anywhere...

I'm a n0ob obviously, and I really want to start playing more with Paint.NET.

I just downloaded Custom brushes plugin and converted some photoshop brushes into .png.

Is there any tutorial where it says how to use and all the stuff you can do with brushes?

I googled it but all tutorials I got were for Photoshop. Aaaand, it wouldn't turn out good, it's not the same.

[Please don't bite :oops: ]

...it wouldn't turn out good, it's not the same.
Nonsense, of course it would work.

Many Photoshop tutorials have been 'translated' in the past to fit in with the capabilities of Paint.NET, and with sabrown's advent of the Custom Brushes plugin, many more have been opened up and ready for conversion. All you have to do is guess what Paint.NET's equivalent would be to a Photoshop step. It will more than likely take a little experimenting, but hey, it's more fun that way as you'll learn far more by the trying of new techniques and methods.

Think of it this way, when you translate English into French, they are not the same language, and some context is lost in the conversion, but the meaning remains, just as it would with a Photoshop tutorial to Paint.NET.

If you require help with a certain tutorial or step, just ask here, after you have tried thoroughly yourself, of course :).

What do you take us for? ;)

Well, there was biting in the overflow earlier... :-(

Yeah, "no biting" is still in effect. If they bite, report the post. Thanks. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

If you require help with a certain tutorial or step, just ask here, after you have tried thoroughly yourself, of course :).

I played with it for few more hours, to be sure I tried many options and not coming here with some stupid question, aaaaand, I found it. But since I'm too proud to call myself dumb, I'll just say I was tired. :P

And the problem was...when you go and click on Draw with custom brush and the window with brushes opens, no one said I should change size. :oops:

Ok, you'll be my victim. :D Are you volunteering on tutoring me? :wink:

This is the brush package I downloaded, converted with abrViewer

How do I do this with some photo?

Hmmmm, toothy geeks who get offended if you type '.net' instead of '.NET'? :P

Well, first you would want to open your photo to use as a reference. Then you would create a new layer, fill it in white, and start brushing the area you want to show on this new layer in black. Delete the reference photo and save the brushing. Open up the photo and use the Alpha Mask plugin, load the file you saved, and voila!

Let me know if you need further explanation.

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Don't go counting your chickens before the pack of rabid ravaging foxes attacks. -Sozo

Oh I'll try it out and let you know for sure! Thank youuu! :D But one question: what does 'masking' mean? 'Do Mask' option?

I'm not sure how to explain it. And I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say the "Do Mask" option.

Glad to be of help. :D

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Don't go counting your chickens before the pack of rabid ravaging foxes attacks. -Sozo

In PDN, when you open brushes plugin, on the top of the window you have option Do Mask

custombrushessu5.png

See?

Well, do you have any picture example of work with and without mask? :?:

Hmm, I haven't really done a lot of work with the custom brush plugin yet. Perhaps I'll give it a try. That option might actually save some steps, if it is what I think it is.

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Please don't use DoMask - it does nothing recognisable to you. It is a feature used ages ago in debugging that I forgot to remove.

KaHuc.png