Feature Suggestion: New FileType placement option

Basically it is useful being able to extend pdn with custom filetypes. But I suggest an option in the FileType api for placement in the file menu. In many situations the filetype appearing in the save dialog box is not apropriet - for example if the author wants to create a new print option with extra functionality, add email support, the ability to save as a custom brush in the apropriet folder or easily setting the image as the desktop background.

KaHuc.png

Your FileType is given a Stream which is already opened to a file. If the user specifies "c:\Users\Name\Whatever.jpg" and you don't save anything to the stream you're given, then that file will end up being zero bytes. You'll end up littering the user's hard drive with all these worthless files and make a mess of things. What you're talking about is a blatant misuse of the file type plugin API.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I mean more of a separate API which would be more based on the effects api - except there would be no rendering back to the canvas and the only object passed would be Document.

So your after something like an Export API where you can write an export plugin that gives the you the control to do something with the document, but not necessarily save it? I could see where that would be useful. You cold write plugins like, Export > Set as Desktop Background, or Export > Upload to an image hosting site. Things that don't fall under effects or file types.

So your after something like an Export API where you can write an export plugin that gives the you the control to do something with the document, but not necessarily save it? I could see where that would be useful. You cold write plugins like, Export > Set as Desktop Background, or Export > Upload to an image hosting site. Things that don't fall under effects or file types.

That is exactly what I mean.

KaHuc.png

That would be the best temporary solution, a lot better than using a file type plugin, the only downside though, is not being able to access the whole document. Another one I was thinking was Export > Save each layer as, that wouldn't be possible with the effects system, but would be a great feature to have.