Smoothing drawn lines?

Lenny

Hey, I've only been using pdn for a week or so and have no other picture editing experience.

but anyway

Anyone have any suggestions for making drawn lines look smoother? Just an example:

picturecleanedsf0.jpg

I want to turn that into something like...

picturecoloredhq9.jpg

I hate how rough the lines are though, didnt want that look.

I tried going over it with black lines drawn in pdn but it still didnt turn out the way I wanted to.

Any suggestions? Sorry if this was in another post. :(

lennyenhancedgl2.jpg

I did something like that once, I used the line tool to draw the borders. Makes nice clean thick lines/curves for your outline/border.

quick edit, can be much cleaner. lol I forgot to color one ear :D

catbowl.png

Create a new transparent layer on top of the drawing. Redraw the entire thing in the new layer.

Oh thats quick :roll: I guess thats what I'll do though when I need to do that.

Is there any way to take the thickness of the lines down after going over the drawn ones?

@paintboy

Lol yeah thats what I was thinking when I started the post. If you look hard you can tell that I did it in the example image, but its still rough and the lines are too bumpy. I've been toying with blurs and transparency but cant get any less manual way of doing it. :?

lennyenhancedgl2.jpg

aatwo said the best way to draw smooth lines/curves is to draw them at twice the size and downsize the picture to get the actual result.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

I do like Lief said. Just draw the lines on a new layer and delete the old layer once your done using it as a reference.

picturecleaned.png

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

Other things you could try to get rid of some of the roughness are the median blur, or try the oil painting effect. I usually use that to smooth things out a bit.