Feature Tool/Effect/Plug-in? Tolerance enabled Gradient

I really don't see the benefit in breaking the status quo in this case. The currently accepted "right way" everyone (Read: PhotoShop, Paint Shop Pro, GIMP, Paint.NET, ArtWeaver, et cetera) uses is that gradients overwrite everything on that layer.

I can see being different when it makes something better, but I don't see how this would make use of the tool easier / more efficient. It would simply mean one more tool for which one mush re-set the tolerance.

One feature I love in those "other" programs that I wish Rick agreed with me on is the usefulness of having separate Tolerance settings for each tool that uses Tolerance. I justify this request because I use variable Tolerance when I'm using the Magic Wand, but when I'm using the Paint Bucket, I want it to fill everything I have selected, so I always have the Paint Bucket at full Tolerance, and it gets exceedingly frustrating having to change back and forth alls the time. If Rick were to implement individual tolerance sliders for tools, then I guess I wouldn't mind this feature, but I'd end up keeping Gradient Tolerance at 100% all the time anyway.

I can of course see Rick's point in that having only one Tolerance slider is far less potentially confusing, so I'm not going to push. :)

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Not if I want to use the background color. :wink:

The GIMP has a neat little function in that, if you hold [shift] while using a Tolerance-dependent tool, it overrides the current tolerance setting and fills / selects as if Tolerance were set at 100.

I wouldn't mind seeing something such as this... :)

~ Becoming the Archetype

CMD - But I really like being able to shift+select with the magic wand and select everything within that color tolerance. How does the GIMP get around that?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I'm sorry, I was incorrect...

The Magic Wand does not have this feature. I guess it wouldn't do much good anyway, seeing as Magic Wand with max Tolerance would just be like [Ctrl]+[A].

As far as selecting discontiguous areas of a color, The GIMP has a separate tool for it. Magic Wand in The GIMP is only for contiguous color ranges.

~ Becoming the Archetype

So darned confusing, that GIMP...I like my magic wand, thank you. Expecto Patronum and all that.

I'm seeing another problem with that idea, though. As the topic originally states, it's for the gradient tool; if that were to be implemented, how would we be able to lock in the gradient's angle to a multiple of 45 degrees?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

That idea was mainly for the Paint Bucket. However, it still couldn't be [shift], since that fills all areas of one color similar to how the Magic Wand selects.

[Ctrl] is still open, though...

~ Becoming the Archetype