JNG support

I's like to see support for JNG (JPEG Network Graphics, basically PNG with JPEG compression, or JPEG with alpha-channels).It doesn't necessarily need to be soon, but I'd like to see it.

My reasoning is because I've been keeping up with Mozilla foundation's Bugzilla about re-adding MNG support to Firefox, and at the moment it looks like it may happen via plugin soon, and as JNG is part of the MNG format, it'll be there too, which would be very nice filesize-wise, having an 88.5KB file to download on a page over the 628.7KB equivalent PNG (Example here)

it's the exact same compression, so depending on what compression ratio, yes, but you also get an alpha channel to use, so we're talking about a file as small as a JPEG with all the benefits of a PNG

except the benefit of being "lossless". :P

I downloaded and looked at the samples in Irfanview. I wasn't too impressed with the quality of the JNG file actually. Then just for giggles, I saved the PNG file as a JPG at 90% quality. That made the file size right at 100 K, and I think it looks a whole lot better than the JNG version and almost as good as the PNG.

I may not be "the best," but I'm PRETTY DARN GOOD!

HD Photo supports all of this... alpha channel support, as well as the lossless option.

The only thing preventing an HD Photo plugin for Paint.NET right now is a bug in the 64-bit metadata handler that comes with WIC / .NET 3.0 (it just doesn't work -- it crashes).

The only thing preventing a JNG plugin is ... well, everything.

I guess there's a format war coming along or something. :)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I downloaded and looked at the samples in Irfanview. I wasn't too impressed with the quality of the JNG file actually. Then just for giggles, I saved the PNG file as a JPG at 90% quality. That made the file size right at 100 K, and I think it looks a whole lot better than the JNG version and almost as good as the PNG.

Don't bother with samples, compress your own using JNG at 90% and see what comes out.

the point of JNG is to have a file with alpha transparency and some compression, so comparing it with JPEG isn't quite appropriate.

HD Photo supports all of this... alpha channel support, as well as the lossless option.

I realize that, but what's wrong with having options?

The only thing preventing an HD Photo plugin for Paint.NET right now is a bug in the 64-bit metadata handler that comes with WIC / .NET 3.0 (it just doesn't work -- it crashes).

The only thing preventing a JNG plugin is ... well, everything.

besides the current lack of browser support (soon to be rectified), and no current code for PDN, what?

Don't bother with samples, compress your own using JNG at 90% and see what comes out.

the point of JNG is to have a file with alpha transparency and some compression, so comparing it with JPEG isn't quite appropriate.

I understand the bit about transparency, but if we're not to bother with samples, why provide them? I would think the purpose for them would be to "show off" what is being promoted. If they don't serve that function, it seems a bit of a waste to me.

I may not be "the best," but I'm PRETTY DARN GOOD!

Well it's really mostly the lack of code; I'm not worried about lack of browser support (Paint.NET is not a browser). HD Photo support can be done in a page or two of code, it's just integration with WIC / WPF. But JNG? I don't know of any good managed/C# libraries for that stuff.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 16 years later...