Saving file undoes black and white conversion

klm1

Hi, I edit pictures in paint.net and one of the most important things is that the files are converted to black and white or bitmapped. I check by zooming in to about 400% to make sure that the picture is only black and white before saving but recently an issue has arisen where saving the file undoes this and when I zoom in I can see grey pixels. It's really important for my work that the files stay black and white so I would be very grateful of any advice! Many thanks :)

What format are you saving in?  It's important because some formats dither or change the colors to increase file compression.

To expand on what EER said...

For example, if you're saving in JPG format the picture is 'lossy'--the saved picture is NOT exactly what you saved. Try saving in PNG format instead which is 'lossless'--the saved picture is EXACTLY what you saved.

Thank-you so much EER and BoltBait! That was exactly what the problem was and saving in a different format has solved it. Now I can get back to work! Thanks again :)