Category Code-words within main forum

Suggestion - It might be easier for people to learn,

if they could browse thru the main forum for questions close to their level,

categorized by code words as follows:

On Subject-Line, these code-words would appear:

BEGINNER

ADVANCED

For precedents of what I mean, see Gardenweb Recipe Exchange below

(classified by LOOKING FOR, and RECIPE).

But I've seen at least one if not more other forums which offered even more categories plus a more professional look. Unfortunately, I can't recall which they were.

Then there's also the Deals app. in slickdeals forums (see below).

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/recipex/
http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

I'm most comfortable with Advocates of Transparent RepairCare (vs. Stealthcare) no matter their graphic expertise.

blind_plight_minipic.jpg

Unfortunately Minni - people don't read half of what they are asked to, and only the knowledgeable will append the correct keyword to their new post(s). I for one will not be adding a keyword to uncoded posts - I just don't have the time.

It's a good idea. Just not one that I feel will be very useful on this forum.

Thanks for raising it though.

<moved to Paint.NET Discussion & Questions>

well it seems to have worked well with the "dummies" on that recipe exchange, not to mention the geeks on slickdeals

..................................................................................... ;)

what the heck, if y'all are OK with it, no problem.

Edited by minni

I'm most comfortable with Advocates of Transparent RepairCare (vs. Stealthcare) no matter their graphic expertise.

blind_plight_minipic.jpg

People are still posting questions about Paint.NET in the Plugins forum.  I think once we solve that problem, we can try category tagging.  :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it could actually work, if a forum-designer would program it in a certain way.

For example:

Say someone does not click Neither beginner Nor advanced.

whereupon:

You can't proceed until you choose "beginner" or "advanced"

So that person then carelessly clicks "advanced"

whereupon:

Just double checking:

Are you sure your question is an advanced, and not a beginner question?

_  yes - Note: if the answer is no, click the Back button and re-decide)

Then again, I'm not sure whether my own questions have been considered beginners or advanced, so that might have to be clarified to Newbs in a stickie.

Edited by minni

blind_plight_minipic.jpg

It's tough for someone posting a question to consider whether the answer is beginner or advanced.  As far as they're concerned, it's tough for them, so that means to them it's advanced.  :-)

Besides, unfortunately, we're using an off-the-shelf forum package called IPB.  We don't have much control over the programming.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

I see. I don't suppose IPB has suggestion forums, where users can point to XYZ forums (such as in the OP) to explain what they seek..whatever...

cheerio B)

blind_plight_minipic.jpg

I don't think they do.  Leastwise not without paying them, and the person who's doing that is busy finishing up Paint.NET 4.  :-)