No text (labels menus dialogs) visible

paintPhish

I've been using Paint.Net for years now but a few days ago on one of my computers (Win 7 64bit) I noticed I couldn't see any of the

text in the menus, labels, dialogs etc. Other applications all appeared fine and text was visible in all of them. After trying a few things

I decided to re-install Paint.Net so I uninstalled my existing 3.5.10 version and downloaded 3.5.11 but when I try to install the new

version I see the same issue, can't see text even in the Paint Install dialog (see attached image). I tried installing the 4.0 Beta version

but same result.

I checked I have the latest .Net framework (4.5) and have tried changing default screen resolution etc to no avail. Searched through the

forums and I don't see anyone else reporting this issue, I'm stumped.

http://i60.tinypic.com/14w39c0.png

Edited by paintPhish

Welcome to the forums paintPhish! :)

Hmm, that is strange. Run a virus scan on your computer, just to be sure. I've had this happen with another application, and it was quite annoying. Do a total re-install. Delete the Paint.Net Program Files Folder, if it has anything in Registry, get rid of those, Temp Files, everything that PDN will put on your computer. Then download the latest version. If that doesn't work, there may be a fault with your computer. Can you remember if anything happened prior to the incident? Did you download any plugins?

Edited by MikeRobe

signature.png

:cookie-chocolate: I baked another one...

Thanks Mike.

I've been looking into this for the past 2 days now with no luck. First, it turns out that the problem is not isolated to Paint.Net but appears to be specific to any .Net application.

I've downloaded and tested with 2 other applications and same issue, it appears there are are some 'system' fonts missing from my machine now so any text in any of these

applications with uses that font(s) doesn't display.

With regards Paint.Net I un-installed it completely (removed all files and registry entries) and when I go to install the new version (either 3.5.11 or 4.0) the text is not visible in the

Install dialog itself. If I select a non-English based language (like Chinese or Japanese I presume) then all the text in the Install Dialog shows up in that language correctly, other

than I can't read the languages :)

I've un-installed and installed all the fonts I could find as Windows 7 default fonts, I've un-installed and installed both .Net framework 4.0 and 4.5 but to no avail. If I boot in Safe mode

and I can see all the text and can install and use the applications, presumably Safe Mode uses a different font. Just not sure what is the 'default' font that Paint.Net uses for its menu

items etc so not sure what exactly is missing.

This is probably a dumb comment, but just wondering if you might have tried Restoring your Win7 computer to an earlier Restore-Date.. that's if Win7 offers that the way Win XP does (I'm backward and still using XP, with AVG a.v.

Edited by minni

I'm most comfortable with Advocates of Transparent RepairCare (vs. Stealthcare) no matter their graphic expertise.

blind_plight_minipic.jpg

.... it turns out that the problem is not isolated to Paint.Net but appears to be specific to any .Net application.

I've downloaded and tested with 2 other applications and same issue...

So you have a system wide problem, and not a specific Paint.NET problem.

... it appears there are are some 'system' fonts missing from my machine now so any text in any of these

applications with uses that font(s) doesn't display.

I suspect restoring these missing or corrupted fonts will solve the issue. Have you tried running the system file checker?

..You may have success running something called SFC (System File Checker). It's a bit arcane, but here's how to do it ...

1. Press the Windows key or click the Start menu/pearl

2. Type CMD and then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter (this will allow it to run with administrator privilege, which SFC requires)

3. Click yes/continue/whatever on the security prompt if it shows up (UAC)

Now you're at the command-line. Be careful, but no need to be scared.

4. To get your bearings, type "sfc /?" (without quotes) and press enter

5. Next, type "sfc /VERIFYONLY" (without quotes) and press enter

6. Wait awhile ...

7. If it displays any errors you will then want to type "sfc /SCANNOW" (without quotes) and then press enter

8. Wait awhile ...

(Technically, steps 4-6 are optional)

If that doesn't help, you will want to find another computer that's running Windows Vista and copy their C:\Windows\FONTS directory into your C:\WIndows\FONTS directory.

Also, I recommend running "chkdsk". You can either brave the command line for this, or do it through My Computer like so:

1. Press Windows Key + E to bring up Windows Explorer. It should already be parked at "My Computer".

2. Right click on your hard drive (it should have a "(C:)" suffix) and click Properties in the menu that comes up

3. Click on the tab named "Tools"

4. There should be a section called "Error checking" with a button labeled "Check now...". Click on the button.

5. Another small dialog will pop up. Click on the "Start" button. You may have to restart your computer to perform the scan, during which you won't be able to use your computer for other stuff. It will tell you if this is necessary.

• Upvote 1