Can't move contents of selection

I keep reading this and I'm still flummoxed. 

I have text on its own layer. I know the correct layer is selected, because if I select  a rectangle covering that text and hit DELETE, the text gets deleted.

But if I select the same rectangle and choose the blue arrow and try all manner of dragging, all that moves is the selection box. I can move that outline to my heart's content, but the text won't go anywhere. The same is true for part of an image if I select it on the background layer. And the same is true for the rotations that the selection seems to be dying to perform instead of moving anything.

I CAN stretch or compress the text wider or narrower or taller or shorter.

Edited by pdnnoob

Hi, wfzoom, and welcome to the forum!

Before I answer your question, I want to point you to the forum rules. The topic you posted in was over a year old. Reviving it is called "necroposting" which is generally frowned upon in internet forums (see rule #11 for details)

I've split your topic off and added a link to the old one. For future reference, this is how we'd prefer you to ask questions related to old dead threads.

Anyhow, to answer your question, you are probably using the "move selection" tool (the white arrow). That's not the one you are looking for. It moves the area that you have selected and not the contents, as you've discovered. What you want to use is the "move selected pixels" tool (the black arrow).

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

There is no black arrow. There are white and blue and, as I said, I used the blue.

Maybe this is a beta issue (I'm using 4.0)?

Sorry about that...I guess I didn't read your post thoroughly enough.

If you're using 4.0, there's something not working right. You should be able to move the object with the blue arrow by clicking and dragging in almost any blank space. Make sure you have the latest version of 4.0 installed, try it again, and let us know if it continues to act like that.

If you pressed ctrl+z between any of the steps you took, make sure the active layer didn't change on you.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

In 4.0 you need to move the cursor off the selection until it turns into a four-way arrow. Closer to the selection the cursor becomes a curved two-way arrow, this is the rotation tool which is combined with the move tool.

Best way to ensure you have the correct tool? Press m on the keyboard ;)