Looking for UTX plugin

To my knowledge there are no filetype plugins which support UTX.

How are your programming skills? :D

Plugin Developer's Center is not a request forum. http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/14175-this-is-not-a-plugin-requests-forum/

I'm moving this to General Discussion.

Thanks.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

@Rick-Brewster Sorry about that.

@Ego-Ram-Reputo My programming skills are negative if anything. When I was younger, I tried learning python, but even after following the instructions in the book word for word, all I got was a text-only guessing game that didn't even work as the book said it would.

Edited by Amaroq Dricaldari

There probably is little incentive for a programmer here to write such a plugin just for you. However they might if they share your interest or there are a number of people asking for it.

Let's leave this thread out there and see if anyone is willing to give it a shot.

• 3 weeks later...

Though I can see adding more game (mod) friendly tools to PDN as a good thing -- whether folks here do or not -- as I use it primarily for game (modding) dev stuff and know that a lot of others do too. A UTX plugin just ain't worth the time.

As far as I understand, UTX is NOT an image file format but rather an (compressed) archive of images. Usually "packages" use common image formats -- likely to be DDS for games -- but can also utilize custom ones created for that game engine. Such as those used by Valve's Source -- VTX

It each "package" were a material that only dealt with the one image but provided different versions of it: diffuse, normal, specular, etc. Then a file format plugin could likely be created and each of these images then added in as separate layers. However, these packages could have a range or images of varying sizes having nothing to do with one another apart by being used by the same game (mod); there could also be hundreds of images.

Making a plugin that adds these varied size images as separate layers or opens them up as individual images, in my opinion, is a complete waste of time as there are UTX viewers, extractors and compilers out there already.

Especially as UTX appears to be used in older Unreal tech engines and not in UDK.

Edited by SIC

----- sELFiNDUCEDcOMA.com