Help to create Civ like icons

Hello, this is my first topic, and i'm from Brazil, so sorry from my bad english.

I Trying to make Civ V (A pc game) icons like this: 

f24f660e8bc581515d32bcdeeb4085f3-d5m0wbg

I think that if i usede brushes and gradients i will make things like that, anyone have an idea?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum Gustavojose!

You can make the base button for the Prussia/Canada types with this plugin: Buttons

yhsjjie-195.png

Then on a new layer, insert your artwork.  I used a symbol from the WingDings font - placed in the new layer with my WhichSymbol+ plugin (link in my signature).

Finally I added a light shadow with this plugin Drop Shadow.

yhsjjie-196.png

For the type with the radial lightrays as a backdrop (Vandal Axeman) - try running this plugin on a new layer then cropping to the button edge LightRays.   To enhance this layer I blurred and reduced the opacity.

yhsjjie-197.png

Assembling the icon:

yhsjjie-198.pngyhsjjie-199.png

The more complicated icons (of the people, for instance) are going to take a significant amount of illustration skill, though.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I don't have the skill to digitally illustrate those characters in those nice little logos though.

Perhaps it would help if you used an existing picture? And maybe there is a technique to make a real picture look like if it was digitally illustrated. Maybe a real PDN pro knows a way to make this happen.

Those logos make some nice profile pictures though.