Newbie: Convert color logo to white logo with a solid background

I am a newbie that just downloaded Paint.net a week ago. I am trying to convert a color logo from it's original design to a white log over a solid background, like the image attached. I need the solid background separate from the logo so I can change the color. I have tried several suggestions from other posts to no avail. My little brain can't figure this out.

Can you help?

post-134569-0-03456900-1386810134_thumb.

Hi and welcome!

Without seeing the exact image, it's a bit of a guess. What happens if you try Adjustments > Black and White? Or Adjustments > Invert Colors?

Hi Ego Eram Reputo

The attached image is the actual image. I need to convert the asp.net logo to white with a solid background. I tried Adjustments>Black and White and also Adjustments>Invert Colors but did not get the results I wanted.

For a better logo with a transparent background you can visit http : / / thedigitaldesign.com/Content/images/dotNet-logo.png

With all due respect - that's Microsoft's logo.  It even has the TM and R to denote trademarks.  Do you have permission to use and change this logo?

(read this: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/IntellectualProperty/Trademarks/Usage/Net.aspx )

If you can honestly answer yes to the last question, here's how you can alter it.

1. Open the transparent version.

2. New Layer :AddNewLayer:

3. Fill :PaintBucket: the new layer with black (left click in the layer).

4. Move layer down below the original logo layer with the down arrow :arrow-down:

4.5 Activate the logo layer by clicking on it in the Layers Window.

5. Adjustments > Black and White :BlackAndWhite: (or Ctrl + Shift + G)

6. Adjustments > Invert Colors :InvertColorsEffect:  (or Ctrl + Shift + I)

7. Adjustments > Brightness and Contrast  :BrightnessContrast: (or Ctrl + Shift + T).  Set both sliders to 38 or whatever you like.

That finishes the image.  Hide the solid black layer and save as a PNG if you want a logo on transparency.  Flatten and save if you want to keep the black background, or use the paint bucket to change the color to a different one prior to saving.

Yeah, you definitely don't want to run afoul of Microsoft's lawyers.  Too risky if you aren't sure.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Thank you Ego and David for the heads up. I definitely don't want any trouble with any lawyer. But I'm not doing anything that has not been done before. I have seen that Microsoft logo used in other sites in white (the way I want it) over a colored background. My problem is that I have not found that logo with a transparent background so I can use it. That's why I decided to learn how to use Paint.NET and try it out for myself.

As for the suggestion Ego gave me, that works great. Thank you very much!