Newbie questions

I've been around computers for 40 years, but must admit, I am a rank newbie at paint.net

I'm hoping there is a tutorial somewhere that will explain the following:

1) I want to create two concentric circles, then insert circular text in between the circles. I can easily create 2 circles, but how to get them concentric and sized independently? Then how do I align the text to be in between the circles? Can I put each item on a different layer, then move the layers independently? If so, how do I do that?

2) I want to make the background of a JPG transparent, then add it to the inside of the circle/text arrangement. Can I "fill" a color with a transparent color?

So much to learn, and so little time to do it!

1. There's more than one way to do this. One way is to set the circle tool to draw filled shapes with outline (see screenshot) and set the brush width to something large. The brush width will determine the size of the area where you will have your text. The outer color is determined by your primary color and the inner by your secondary color.

shapewithoutline.png

The other way that comes to mind is the "align object" plugin. Just draw the circles on their own layers and use the plugin to center them.

2. Again, there are multiple ways to do this. One is to set the paint bucket to "overwrite" blending mode and set your color to something transparent. Now your paint bucket should fill areas with transparent color.

You can also use the magic wand to select the area that needs to be transparent and hit delete.

My favorite way is to use the Grim Color Reaper or Alpha Space plugin to remove the color in question. Unlike the other two options, this will not leave a jagged border.

Edited by pdnnoob

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Hi Pilot and welcome to PDN.  Really the only way to master this software is to get stuck into the Tutorials, starting with the easy ones first.  There is, in fact, a plugin called Circle Text by dpy, which can be uploaded.  That's a whole different mine-field and there is a section for doing this here.

Here is a tutorial to get you on your way - it's not using the actual circle text plugin I refer to, but would be a good start to try.

Good luck with your mission, should you decide to accept wink.gif

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thank you for all of the suggestions, however, I do not think I made myself clear.

I am attaching a crude attempt to do what I want – 2 concentric circles with circular text inside the circles. I downloaded the circle text plug-in, that works great, but the question is how to first get perfect circles, the make them concentric, then, finally, arrange the text symmetrically inside the circles?

Yes, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what exactly you want.  A screen shot of an example would be helpful.  Is this kind of what you are trying to do?

catmat_zps322e2aa0.png   If so, I just did the text first, on two layers, with the Circular text plugin and then drew the circles afterwards.  Hope this helps.

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

I'm sorry, I thought you meant filled circles, so I had something more like this in mind:

Untitled-8.png

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Pixey, and Pdnnoob you both have the right idea. I have more or less figureed out how to do this, with one exception. I am using the circular text plugin, however, I want the text at the bottom of the circle to face upright, not be upside down. I am assuming now that I have to create the text in two parts - the upper half and the lower half seperately.

You assume correctly.

I'm not sure if I just don't have the most recent version of the plugin or if it doesn't have this feature, but for some reason, I'm not seeing a setting to invert the text to face outward. You may have to download an upside down font to do it...

Yes, as Barbieq says, you need to uncheck the Clockwise box.  Then use Angle of Arc to center and move and play with the radius,  Then use rectangle select :RectangleSelectTool: to move the text into place.

Pilot_zpsff2a8fd0.png

Good Luck :)

30b8T8B.gif