Would anyone happen to know why effects won't load.....

Hello,

I am a self-taught PDN Sunday driver and huge fan.....who basically can't draw a straight line otherwise. Great software. But anyway...I seem to have a problem. I used to run it wonderfully with many of the great third-party plug-ins from this forum installed on my Dell laptop w/ Windows xp sp3-32bit. Now I've installed it on a Toshiba laptop w/ Windows 7(latest update) 64bit and for the life of me I can not get any extra effects plug-ins to show up.
I've tried installing it in both Programs folders (64 and x86) and I've extracted the plugins to the effects folders (among other spots). Nothing. I consider myself to be relatively computer-literate but I am completely stumped. But I'm sure it's something very stupid. Can anyone help me troubleshoot? Thanks a lot.   

Check you don't have two installations. There should be ONE folder named Paint.NET under C:\Program Files.

Next, check that you have NOT accidentally copied the Paint.NET dll files into the Effects folder. They are all named PaintDotNet.*.dll If you find any of these in the Effects folder move them back to the Paint.NET folder. If they are duplicates, just delete them.

Hello,

... and I've extracted the plugins to the effects folders....   

Maybe this goes w/out saying, or maybe it does (at least for other users):  If you installed them into the correct folder as has been pointed out, make sure Paint.NET is/was not running while you did so.  If it was, shut it down and restart the program to see if they now show as being available for use.