In reading a few tutorials they talked about putting a layer under the image.

By try as I might, I couldn't find any place where the method for doing it was explained. I know how to put a top layer on another, but not one under another.

Sorry, but I'm learning in baby steps, so I know my questions may make you grate your teeth, but...

Renee

1. Add a new layer by clicking the icon in the Layers Window :AddNewLayer:

2. Ensure the new layer has the focus (i.e. highlight) by clicking on its name in the Layers Window.

3. Click the Down icon :MoveLayerDown: in the Layers Window to move the layer down one place.

There is also a Move Layer Up icon :MoveLayerUp: These buttons/icons work with any layer that is made active (step two) so you can move any layer up or down the stack.

(In PDN 4.0 Rick has implemented drag and drop for layers. http://blog.getpaint.net/2012/04/08/new-features-for-paint-net-4-0/ Very cool!)

When released Paint.NET 4 will be for all of us ;)

Here's a tip for you. In Paint.NET press the F1 key to be taken to the online documentation. There are lots of introductory articles there.

Thank you for the welcome, barbieq. Scott knows me slightly and is very patient with my klutziness! I'm excited about trying to learn PDN. Just need to try to call forth any artistic creativeness I have. But I have some ideas.

Maybe I should ask this now--are the tuts on here okay for use in building a cover for a (hopefull) commercial book? Not fully copying anyone else's designs but using the parts I need?

Renee

Your designs/creations are your own, so they are yours to do with as you please.

There are no licencing issues from Paint.NET or from the forum tutorials. If your creation is a step-by-step reproduction of a tutorial it would be nice to credit the tutorial author - but not absolutely essential.

The only problem you might encounter is if you used someone else's image (perhaps off the Internet).

Again--I should have a stamp made!--Thanks, Scott.

Now I am going to go off topic because a really nice thing happened: I got an email from Paint.net, saying that although I'd signed up (as rlgee) I hadn't posted. So I replied but it failed. This is what I said: I'd forgotten the name I'd used a year ago Renee27 but ya'll hadn't, so it wouldn't take the new one, so naturally I didn't use it.

I think it's really neat that PDN cares that much about new users actually using the site. Good for the ole ego! :) Just wanted to acknowledge the email and express my pleasure.

Renee