Is there a filter a disabled person can use ?

Here's the problem. I'm trying to cut out the background of an image. I have a tutorial suggesting to do it manually or using the eraser. I've got a mild case of Parkinsons and cutting by hand is getting so that it takes very, very long or in some cases I can't erase the background at all. Is there a filter I can use to make things a bit easier ?

Soupfiction-sig.jpg

I can't think of anything that would be able to automate the process other than a Photoshop'ish "magnetic select"...Which is not available in PDN.

Post your image and have someone else do it for you. I wouldn't mind helping you out.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

Here's the problem. I'm trying to cut out the background of an image. I have a tutorial suggesting to do it manually or using the eraser. I've got a mild case of Parkinsons and cutting by hand is getting so that it takes very, very long or in some cases I can't erase the background at all. Is there a filter I can use to make things a bit easier ?

try usin the magic wand but set the tolerence a little lower

Somewhere I saw a plugin for a mask at PDN. I haven't tried it yet, but that might help you a little. I'm not sure if it's a true mask or not.

Does anyone know if the plugin allows you to do this:

Left click to apply the transparency and right click to restore pixels in the image? That would be helpful.

I read that you must first save the masked image as a PNG because you can't directly use it, and then import the PNG in another step.

What do those of you who have used that plugin think about it?

KORTECKGOLDGIFSIG455x100.gif

The Magnetic lasso?

It is bloody potato. Definately not worth it in my opinion...

The best way to cut out anything in photoshop, and actually in paint.net is to quick mask it.

In paint.net do this, create a new layer, set the opacity down to like 100-150, so it is fairly translucent, and then take a color that is highly visible IE- Bright oranges, red, yellow and start painting over the subject that you want to cut out.

I know you have parkinsons, and the easiest way is to be zoomed in a lot and just click the brush once to get over your subject, instead of doing long strokes.

After you have painted over the entire subject, take the magic wand, select it, and then Inverse the selection, I believe the shortcut is Ctrl Shift I and then get on the original image's layer, hit delete, and you have a perfect cut.

A bit lengthy, but if you want it to look great, use this method.

ravennm3.png

Tolerance.png

To adjust the magic wand you just click and drag the blue tolerance bar (outlined in the picture), and it will probably start out at 50%. )% tolerance means it will select one predefined color, so it will be really picky on what it will select, and 100% means it will pretty much select the whole picture.

When i select stuff, my tolerance bar usually varies from 25% to 75%