Blend modes question

OK, this is my first thread, but i dont think anyone has asked this (explicitly) before. if this question has come up before, i apologize to the mods, but i couldnt find it. :P

What do the different blending modes do?

I know that you use "multiply" for shading, and "overlay" for something else, but honestly, if there is one part of PDN that i can't figure out by myself, it is the pesky blend modes (also the "flood mode" on some tools, but that's beside the point). Does anyone have an explanation of why i would use each of these so-called "blending modes"?

Thanks in advance!

Dex+477+sig+pic.png

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich (the layers are slices of bread). It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich.

Slightly less weirdly, Blend modes control how the layers interact.

You can find more specific information on Blend modes in the Paint.NET documentation, specifically: http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/BlendModes.html

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich (the layers are slices of bread). It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich.
sig quote! :D

The blend mode tells you how the pixels in layer will react with its corresponding pixels in the layers below. For example, Additive will add the RGBA values of the pixel to the value of the pixel below it.

Edited by pdnnoob
  • Upvote 1

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

The blend mode tells you how the pixels in layer will react with its corresponding pixels in the layers below. For example, Additive will add the RGBA values of the pixel to the value of the pixel below it.

Awesome! that makes sense.

You can find more specific information on Blend modes in the Paint.NET documentation, specifically: http://www.getpaint....BlendModes.html

This is exactly the sort of reference stuff i was looking for. thanks guys ;)

Dex+477+sig+pic.png