View image properties

Just tried Paint.Net for the first time, and I love it! So much better than that useless Paint, so thanks for a wonderful tool! :)

I was just wondering whether I missed it, but I didn't see any way to view technical information about the currently open image. Is there such a dialog, and if not, can you add it to the next version please? Would really come in handy, especially if you can additionally add complete EXIF data viewing/editing support in the same properties dialog. If this latter bit is too much, even a basic dialog displaying the image properties would be very nice indeed.

Thanks for considering my request.

...I didn't see any way to view technical information about the currently open image. Is there such a dialog, and if not, can you add it to the next version please? Would really come in handy, ...

I'm at a loss to understand this question, so maybe you can educate me on your rationale behind this, so excuse me while I play the "devil's advocate" on this (maybe because of the questions that I am putting forth is why nobody has responded to your question).

The dimensions for a piece is shown on the bottom of the screen. Windows itself will give you info about the piece if you click on its properties (format, dimensions, file size).

Since you're opening it in PDN, I would assume you're going to manipulate it to some extent (resize, brighten, add/remove, etc.) so any info about the current piece would be transitional (changing as changes are made). So would it be safe to assume that if you're concerned for instance about the file size while it is in this "transitory state" that maybe you wouldn't modify it to the extent that you originally planned if for instance file size exceeds a certain value?

It would also seem to me that the info about a piece would have to assume that it would be displayed based upon the original format of the piece. But this info would not be accurate, it would seem to me, if for instance you're working on a jpg and add a layer with translucency then what further details is/are displayed about the piece would not be correct (at a minimum, inaccurate) since technically jpgs don't support translucency. Further, since you are opening a jpg (just as an example), does not mean that the individual intends to save in that format (for instance I have opened jpgs for the express purpose of saving specifically as bmp - to use the graphics as a texture in games for example), so again, any additional info displayed about a piece (like file size) is inaccurate because saving in a different format would change this as well.

So for the life of me (and because I'm at a loss to understand the full scope of the question), I cannot see any benefit of adding any info other than the dimensions until/unless you are finished working on the piece (which would include having saved the file).

Edited by jim100361

Since you're opening it in PDN, I would assume you're going to manipulate it to some extent (resize, brighten, add/remove, etc.) so any info about the current piece would be transitional (changing as changes are made). So would it be safe to assume that if you're concerned for instance about the file size while it is in this "transitory state" that maybe you wouldn't modify it to the extent that you originally planned if for instance file size exceeds a certain value?

I wasn't even thinking about the file size. More along the lines of info. such as DPI, number of colors, interlaced or not, number of layers, if an animated GIF then number of frames and so on, plus of course EXIF data if possible for file types that support it. Obviously these can change depending on what you choose to do with the file, but of course the dialog will show the properties of the file as they exist on disk, and that won't change unless the file itself does (after saving, i.e.)

To find the EXIF data, right click the image file in Windows explorer or file browser, and click on Properties. In the Properties' window, click on Details tab.

Unfortunately, there's no way for Windows to tell you how many layers there are, especially if you are dealing with PDN's native file, ending with a .pdn extension. Best way is to actually open said .pdn file and the layers' information should be there.

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

Unfortunately, there's no way for Windows to tell you how many layers there are, especially if you are dealing with PDN's native file, ending with a .pdn extension. Best way is to actually open said .pdn file and the layers' information should be there.

It would be nice if the handler which provides Windows the thumbnail of a .pdn would also provide some infos for the Details tab in the Explorers properties dialog of a .pdn file. That's on Rick ;-)

In the moment you may use Irfanview to browse your .pdns and get more infos like dimension, resolution, number of layers...

midoras signature.gif

I'm not trying to be a wiseguy, but I don't understand the importance of such info. I mean, whatever piece you are working on/with is going to be whatever it is. How does the additional info you are requesting going to affect what you intend to do with it? Especially since anything resulting from what you actually do to your piece will be inaccurate until such time as you are finished with it.

From my vantage point about this and for the sake of argument (especially with me still not understanding the full impact of your request), let's work with the understanding that this "feature" is something that you strongly believe in. How would it be beneficial (worth adding) for the sake of everyone else? Simply put, though you may be set on the idea of including all this info, would it really be beneficial to do whatever coding is necessary to include it if it isn't worth more for a lot more people?

Again, I'm not trying to be a wiseguy, but maybe this would be more appropriate as a plug-in whereas if you don't want it, you don't need to install it and vice versa as opposed to a permanent feature to PDN.

@JIM: The two most important fields for some are "author" and "copyright" ... standard tags that have to be filled in. Lightroom users etc tend to ensure these are added. Infranview can batch add these. At the moment, while it might be nice to make those edits directly in PDN, those are the only two things I would "change" willingly. Besides the fact that if the GPS was off etc that would be much harder to add to photos.

Debate on modifying data tags other than those to be "added" to the source data, even when making minor corrections to photos is a lot to consider.

The usual want for extended information is to replace having to use something like Lightroom for better organization from the start IME. Not a reverse critique, just my impression based on similar feature requests in other places.

I too support the idea of extended source information as you may wish to remind yourself about it while working with that source. Its location it was loaded from on the local disk or network etc could prove helpful for those with massive source libraries.

Just my side thoughts on it. Not arguing for what is more or less a lower priority feature. Like with Infranview this is more than likely going to have to be a plugin written. The metadata plugin for Infranview is a good example of display + editing dialog addition that is not native to the base application itself.

Gallery at PDN-Fans

No, it's not likely that a plugin will be written for this. Is it an Effect? No. Is it a FileType? No. Right now those are your two options. Other types of plugins, for reasons of my sanity, are not permitted here on the forums.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'm not trying to be a wiseguy, but I don't understand the importance of such info.

mmm... I think you are over thinking this as others have pointed out. I came to this thread because I wondered the same thing. Just wanted a quick way to check the original file properties without leaving pdn to go elsewhere.

Also starting sentences with "I'm not trying to be a wiseguy, but..." is like starting a comment with "I'm not a racist, but..." or "I don't mean to be rude, but...". Just something I have noted from my vantage point.

Ok so for your first post you're giving us advise on a 2 year old (aka dead) thread.

You need to go read the rules. Now. That is not advise, it's a requirement.

Thread Closed

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg