printig problem with WIA

Hi,

I am very new here and I have troubles with printing an jpg on paint.net.

The erropr message: Die Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) Bibliothek "wiaaut.dll" konnte nicht geladen werden.

I read your hint in "Why can't I scan or print? ...The Windows Image Acquisition system service must also be enabled. This may be disabled if you have "tweaked" your system, or if you are running Windows Server where it is set to Disabled by default.

Simply set it to "Automatic" or "Automatic (Delayed Start)" and it should work."

Sorry, but I don't know, where in my system I can " set it to Automatic" so I can not print my pictures.

Can you help me please?

greetings

Christian

thank you so very much for your answer. I found the WIA system with your help and I put it fom "manuell" to "automatic", but still it doesn't work. I restartet the PC but it is the same result and the same error message. The file "wiaaut.dll" I found and with WindowsPaint I have no problems. Only in paint.net I can't print! Maybe there is an other solve??

greetings

Christian

Sorry, but if I use the windows built in print system and if I click cntrl & p I get the error message! And in this message is the "wiaaut.dll" mentioned:roll: paint.net can't find this file. And so I can't print:(

Hmmm. Have you tried to find that error code on microsoft website? I have never found that error before. Wish I could help you more :(

ZXCBOoZ.png

Hmmm. Have you tried to find that error code on microsoft website? I have never found that error before. Wish I could help you more boltbait.sad.png

"The error message: Die Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) Bibliothek "wiaaut.dll" konnte nicht geladen werden."

The Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) library "wiaaut.dll" could not be loaded.

From what I can gather, it's technically not an issue with Paint.net but rather .NET Framework.

Maybe the info found here can help you (if you can fully understand it). Specifically there's a paragraph titled, "Getting to WIA from .NET"

http://channel9.msdn.com/coding4fun/articles/Look-at-me-Windows-Image-Acquisition

Thank Jim and nitenurse,

for trying to help me. I work under Win7 and so I think a lot of problems have to do with this program! So I tried to replace the wiaaut.dll in ...system32, but I have no chance to do so. Yes I have the rights of an administrator, but not for this action. So I don't wish to do the sophisticated things in that link you gave me Jim.

Nevertheless I am very grateful for helping me!

PS: I have now the solution! In the section "services.msc" there it is to set automatically not only "WIA-Bilderfassung" but also "ShellHardwareerkennung". (By the way I have to apologize my terrible English, I learned this language only in the groundschool - 55 years ago).

greetings

Christian

Edited by Flattermann

Oh, yeah you definitely don't want to go replacing files in system32. That's almost always the wrong approach, and Windows even has built-in mechanisms to protect against that (see: Windows File Protection, Windows Resource Protection). You can still get around it, but usually the fact that you have to bend over backwards to accomplish something simple is an indication that you're trying to solve the wrong problem to begin with.

Those services aren't disabled unless someone/something goes and manually disables them, often because they think they are "optimizing" (tip: in general, avoid so-called "Windows optimization guides" and utilities that claim to do similar). Because of that, I haven't invested much in making this error scenario very robust other than showing an error dialog. Oh, the other reason they're disabled is if you're running Windows Server, because all non-server related services are disabled by default. It reduces memory usage as well as the attackable surface area of the system (security).

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

You were right, changing files in the holy system is not the best way. Thank God it was not necessary, because Jim gave me the tip with the windows server. I have my machine since springtime 2011 an I never moved or tweaked something on it. I never knew of this possibility. I have a stand alone PC and the error message couldn't help me. The two things to change on automatically I never had found without Jim and an hint in an other forum. I don't know why the devices were deactivatet.

Best wishes

Christian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just started getting the problem. Can't open my scanner or print and get the wiaaut.dll problem. Tried to activate the dll via Task Manager, Services, Services tab but get "Error: The dependency service or group failed to start" message. Looked at the dependencies for wiaaut.dll under properties and couldn't find anything wrong. Also tried to just reinstall the whole Paint.net program to no avail. Help anyone? I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit.

Dwayne

Did you run services.msc and see if Windows Image Acquistion is running as shown below?:

WIA.png

If it isn't, click on it to highlight it, right-click and select "Properties". You will get a dialogue box where you can set it to "Automatic" and to also Start the service.

Did you run services.msc and see if Windows Image Acquistion is running as shown below?:

WIA.png

If it isn't, click on it to highlight it, right-click and select "Properties". You will get a dialogue box where you can set it to "Automatic" and to also Start the service.

It's set to start up automatically but not listed as running. If I try to start it I get an error message that says Error: The dependency service or group failed to start. I looked at the dependencies, I think, and could not tell if they were running or not.

I even ran the Windows sfc/scannow utility and it found no errors.

When you run services.msc and bring up the properties dialogue box, you should see a tab labeled "Dependencies"

WIA1.png

Clicking on that tab will give you this:

WIA2.png

Check these items as you did with the Windows Image Acquisition service.

If you get a specific error message, write it down and try to "Google" it and see what results you may get. If you can't seem to get anywhere with that, post it in here and maybe somebody else may be able to further assist you.

I got it to start up using the instructions found here: http://h30434.www3.h.../1116541#M83469

Thanks

Dwayne

Umm....I've quoted the below from the link you provided and it's the very same info I provided you above in the screenshots:

Re: How does one get Windows Image Acquisitio​n service (stisvc) to restart?

One thing to check is the following.

Open windows Control Panel, open Administrative Tools and open Services. Check that the following services ( check them in th order shown below ) are all showing as Status= Started and Start-up Type= AutomaticRemote Procedure Call (RPC)

Shell Hardware Detection

Windows Image Acquisition

If you need to make a change to any of the above, just right click the service and select Properties, then in the dropdown box next to 'Start-up type', select Automatic and click Apply to save the change. Then click the Start button."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck!

• 5 months later...

MS Windows XP Pro SP2

Dell Optiplex 320 P4-3.2GHz 1GB RAM

Add / Remove shows the following installed

MS .NET Framework 1.1

MS .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2

MS .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2

MS .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

MS .NET Framework 4 Client Profile

All three services have been & initially running and set to start automatically.

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Shell Hardware Detection

Windows Image Acquisition

Still getting wiaaut.dll error. Unable to print anything from Paint.NET

Do I need SP3??

I should mention that I can print fr. MS Paint hehe. Too funny!

It would appear to tell me the problem is endemic to Paint .NET

BTW... I forgot to mention that I'm usint Paint.NET ver. 3.58.4081.24580.

And when I open a .jpg file in MS Paint & print, it DOES NOT open or utilize

the built-in Windows Photo Printing WIzard. I'm gonna try & open / view the

file using MS Fax & Picture viewer & see if I can print using above mentioned

wizard to see if the problem occurs.

I like Paint.NET but if I can't print it's slated for uninstall & scrub from system.

Edited by Wes2859

Paint.NET's printing just brings up the built-in Windows Photo Printing Wizard.

You can also get to that same wizard (the term is almost derogatory at this point) by right-clicking on the image in Windows Explorer and then clicking on Print.

It's not as convenient but it's the same thing.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg