Magic Wand and Clone Tool

barrydoig

Hi. I am Barry Doig from Nelson New Zealand. I have been teaching Paint.NET at Senior Net here in Nelson this year. I have taught three courses of four weeks each. Class members are in the older age group, many have not used a computer before. Members have really enjoyed the program and interest is growing. Both I and our class see two problems. First, the Magic Wand tool is very slow and cumbersome. How can we make it work faster? Do other forum members have this problem? Second, the Clone Stamp Tool needs to have a way to feather the edge. It is too sharp and leaves a round circle. I can find no way of softening the edges. Am I missing something? These improvements would make a great program even greater. Many thanks. Barry Doig

My computer is coming up on its sixth birthday, and it hasn't had a problem with magic wand being slow. I think the best solution to your first problem is to upgrade your machines.

For the second problem, there are a couple of ways to work around it. The easy way is to lower the brush opacity. The hard way is to use masks. I'd start with the easy way and see how you like it. If it doesn't work out, the second option should work quite well.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Hi Barry,

This recent thread was on the same subject and might give you a little more info: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/22862-changing-opacity-when-cloning/page__view__findpost__p__361299

(I'm only 300km south of you boltbait.big_smile.png )