Need help creating a damaged pearl.

Greetings all,

I have need of a pearl. This pearl is not to be a dazzling jewel as many often design pearls (I've seen a lot of them on the free photo sites). However, I'm trying to create a pearl of a different kind--it is to be a small, dull, scratched, chipped, cracked, irregularly-shaped thing. It could even have several small dents like you see in an orange peel.

The thing is, I have no idea on how to create something like this. :blank: Is there someone out there generous enough to help this pitiful guy along?

Thanks.

unless i could see an example of the kind of thing you want to make- the only suggestion i can give is to create your texture full page, there are plenty of ways to add roughness, noise, dents, crystalize, etc found in the effects tab, then use render/shape3d on it

oh and scratch is always more fun-- look through the tutaorials on planets, crystal balls, gems, anything roundish or roughish-- its amazing what youll learn to do

Edited by mountnman

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

I can't give the details, but this should be a basic outline of what you are to do:

Step 1: Find a photo of a nice beautiful pearl or make one yourself (clouds,noise + motion blur. new layer (mess with layer properties). paint "color tints" (splotches of color) then motion blur. Shape 3D/Lens)

Step 2: Distort with twist/wobble/sine waves/bulge (to make irregular shape)

Step 3: Make scratches and cracks on new layer (I have yet to figure out how to do this). Layer properties to blend with pearl

Step 4: Make chips on layer above scratches and cracks (same as before...haven't figured this out)

The order I put things in is for a purpose. For example: if you are using Shape 3D or Lens to make a pearl, it is guaranteed this will look better than if you scratch before making it 3D.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Step 3: Make scratches and cracks on new layer (I have yet to figure out how to do this). Layer properties to blend with pearl

Step 4: Make chips on layer above scratches and cracks (same as before...haven't figured this out)

Alternatively, you could download and convert the below photoshop brushes which look great for scratches, chips, etc.

High Resolution Marks And Scratches Texture Photoshop Brushes

The author states that "there are no copyright restrictions of any kind on these Photoshop brushes."

naturesig.png

Alternatively, you could download and convert the below photoshop brushes which look great for scratches, chips, etc.

High Resolution Marks And Scratches Texture Photoshop Brushes

The author states that "there are no copyright restrictions of any kind on these Photoshop brushes."

this. You still need to make them on a new layer and play with layer properties, but brushes always simplify these things ^^

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo