Edit Crash

Not sure if I have the lastest build since younever mentioned a build number in the alpha 1 post so I assume tere is only one build of alpha 1.

Well Earlier I opened an image using the windows picture and fax viewer and I clicked the edit button. Windows explorer then crashed and I got this message after clicking "end now". I havent got a clue what the hell Doctor Watsons postmortem debugger is...

error2gj2.png

I have tried different file types in different folders and I have and tried restarting my pc. But now it crashes every time I click that little edit button. i can still open files in the normal other ways btw.

I tried doing it while PDN was open but it still crashed. At this point I did see a little error report message box that appeared to be sending a message through PDN concerning the crash. So heads up for that.

There is a way to turn off DrWatson by editing a registry key, but I don't remember the exact location. I found it via Google, so if you'd like to look for it, you could start there.

Yeah, I got the same thing the other day. I clicked Edit while multiple .png images were selected, and Windows Explorer crashed. I clicked the Debug button (which is how you run DrW if he's turned off), and DrW crashed.

I was reading that there are times when, while debugging a crash of one program, a glitch in DrW causes itself to trigger another instance of itself, which conflicts with the original instance, which crashes, bla bla bla... I'm not sure how correct this is, but I read it on an internet message board, so it must be true... :wink:

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

To disable Dr.Watson:

Run regedit

Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AeDebug

Set the value for Auto to 0

That will make it so Dr.Watson will not run automatically after a crash. Please note that this will not stop Windows Explorer from crashing, but it will remove the Dr.Watson warnings.

I searched for this originally because there was one program I used that wouldn't start up again if its crashing crashed Dr.Watson unless I restarted my system. And I've left the good Doc turned off. :D

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

This sounds like a Windows bug then. Make sure to keep clicking "send error report." I don't really have any advice on whether to keep anything enabled or disabled there.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg