Feature Request - Selection Brush

What i'm requesting is a selection brush, where it acts like a normal paintbrush, but what you "draw" becomes the selection, or adds to the selection. I would find this much easier than having to use the lassoo tools many times or the magic wand brush for different coloured selections.

Thats a dam good idea. Along with the ability to change the brush width as you would a regular brush tool would make it pretty awesome.

Trickman, it is not the same as the lasso select.

What mickiscoole is describing is a custom brush. We had this feature about twenty years ago on the Amiga in a program called Delux Paint from Electronic Arts.

You could create a custom brush and save it as a brush file. Whenever you wanted to use that brush all you needed to do was open it from the brush menu and paint with it.

The lasso and layer workaround described is a clumsy imitation of this outstanding feature. (I won't call it lame. It is actually pretty smart to figure that out.)

Gary Humenuk

• 10 months later...

I've been using Amigas for my 2D artwork for many many....many years now, and when I get TVPaint and ImageFX going again I'll be a very happy person. The brush feature can be very useful at times, but not too often really. Still it would be a nice extra to Paint.net. DPaint still has one over a lot of paint programs even now. Though by the time it got to version 5 it was slower than a dead aardvark! :)

Customizable brushes are a very popular feature request, if that's what you're asking for...look higher up on this board for the "popular feature requests" thread.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.