How to make a chrome tiled floor (requested)

csm725

As requested by Weylin at my gallery...

Would be real cool to know how you did the floor....

I will show you how to make something like the floor in this image:

1c98f107b4121f7b1be52bb43203f69f2g.jpg

Partial credit goes to barkbark00's chrome tut.

Difficulty level: 4/10 - You need to know how to install plugins and access layer blend modes.

Plugins you will need to download:

BoltBait's pack

Align Object

PART I SUBPART I - The tile.

Step one is to open a new canvas (not at 2x or 3x the size of final product, you'll see why later - this means that if you want your final product to be 800x800, open a new canvas at that size, not 2400x2400), I used 800x800:

1newimg.png

Next, add a new layer. Name it tile1.

On that layer, go to the rectangular select tool and hold Shift. Make a new selection.

2shiftselect.png

EDIT: I just realized that the smaller your selection is in the beginning, the better the chrome turns out. So, you can start with a relatively small selection and when you have completed the tile, stretch it out a bit. See end for example.

Fill it with white and go to Effects > Selection > Bevel Selection. Oh, and make sure your primary and secondary colors are black and white, respectively.

Experiment with the 'Depth' field until the square looks rounded-ish. See this pic:

3bevelselec.png

NOTE: I actually used Depth 34. You're going to want to use a Depth value that makes the image appear rounded, but not totally rounded.

Duplicate the layer (optional - name it 'tile1-copy')and invert the colors (Ctrl-Shift-I). Set the layer blend mode to Difference. Oh yeah, you can deselect (Ctrl-D) now.

This is how it should look:

4blendmodediff.png

Merge layer down and go to Curves (Ctrl-Shift-M) and make sure you are on Luminosity.

Make the path something like this:

5curves.png

Select anywhere outside of the square with magic wand (you may have to lower the tolerance) and invert selection (Ctrl-I). Go to Bevel Selection and bevel it with whatever depth. I used 6.

6bevel2.png

PART I SUBPART II - A more chrome looking tile.

See this animated .gif - note the smaller selection.

tileshow.gif?attachauth=ANoY7corNI2xoIIXWEb4ckSt1bi8IRdxGoPLmqRBv33yRXPUjnszK5vLZxZE06ouDR10NdqYlDbGAtGF7MhRrFddz_vV4ImNfNvGMY7lf_fnhe-FT7lkg5iIw8eOQIS8c8Vh5gZE3xvp0SsEg9y_2LGTvlenREiEX7OdzmDqQSZvDP9ktqIurRtFVAFHYzUrILi23W1dvTXc&attredirects=0

PART II - The floor.

Align the tile to the top-left, using Effects > Align Object.

Select outside of the tile and invert selection. Copy and paste. Drag the second tile so it is touching the first, like so:

7twotiles.png

Select outside of the two tiles and invert. Copy paste. Drag.

You should now have 4 tiles all on one layer. Select outside of them, invert, copy-paste, drag.

The amount of times you need to do this depends on the canvas size. This is the reason I told you earlier to make a canvas size at your final image size.

(not at 2x or 3x the size of final product, you'll see why later - this means that if you want your final product to be 800x800, open a new canvas at that size, not 2400x2400)

Once you have a whole row, select outside of it and invert, copy, paste.

Drag it under the current row.

Deselect, repeat process until screen is full of tiles.

If the alignment on either side (top, bottom, left, right) is off, use the Move Selection tool to stretch the whole thing out a little. Just so you know, the chrome in this example came out bad, yours will probably be much much better.

This is what you should have now:

8alltiles.png

Go to rotate/zoom (Ctrl-Shift-Z) and experiment with the settings.

There you go, a chrome floor.

PS Mods, is this a Newbie Playground, a Texture, or a Misc tut?

#tut725

Edited by csm725

Thanks for the tut :) I believe I already know how to make the floor.. layer > rotate/zoom, Twist angle: 90 twist radius: 50-80 to get a floor, and tiling checked

didn't work. I can't find any other way other than just to copy/paste a large number of them xP

Edited by Weylin

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tut :) I believe I already know how to make the floor.. layer > rotate/zoom, Twist angle: 90 twist radius: 50-80 to get a floor, and tiling checkeddidn't work. I can't find any other way other than just to copy/paste a large number of them xP

Weylin, I cannot see your image...you did post one?

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

• 4 weeks later...