What's a Paint.net alternative for use on a iMac?????

Hi all :-D

I been using PDN for a few years now and my personal opinion is it can't be beat but in the next few months I'll be getting a new iMac and have been looking for a close as possible alternative to PDN that I can use...

My total experience before PDN was that god awful MS Pant YUCK!!!!!!!!

then I found Paint.net and I haven't looked back, I find it easy to use yet very intuitive and powerful {it can do more than I'll ever be able to :oops: )

yet when I wanted to learn how to do something new I found it very easy to do so. the forums have been great!, plugins easy to add, the UI easy to use and get to know and uncluttered!

So I would like to know if anyone can please suggest an alternative??? I've tried The Gimp, Inkscape, Photoshop... but all seem very complex and I keep feeling like my skill level is not high enough to use them, I get confused when I want to do what was a simple task in PDN (like making icons, themes for my phone, editing my photos, or any image at all really)

I'm not bagging these others they are all very good but for a real amateur like me it all gets too much and I just don't bother or go straight back to Paint.net...

I will have windoze install on bootcamp and I will have Paint.net installed there but I would really like a free alternative for the iMac as well and thought the best place to ask would be here cause if the PDN community couldn't give me an unbiased opinion then no one would I think.

thankyou for taking the time to read and help :D

also does anyone know anything about paint mono? and would it work on a mac? and I would like to thank everyone at PDN for a GREAT app keep up the good work!!

FORDFPVANIM.gif

If you help one person you help many many more!!

Pixelmator.

about paint mono? and would it work on a mac?

Don't use it, it's just a proof-of-concept.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

Another alternative would be to have Windows in VirtualBox or another VM program and have PDN running with OSX.

isn't that similar to bootcamp? from what I've read so far bootcamp installs windows on the imac for you (but you need windows disc) or does it work differently??

FORDFPVANIM.gif

hey rick didn't think I actually get a response from you, thanks for your time :)

like I said I will use bootcamp or Parallels but was hoping for a mac alternative. Pixelmator seems to be the best option so far

FORDFPVANIM.gif

Just. Buy. Photoshop.

If you want to spend the money of course. :P

You can always find "friends" who will share photoshop with you as well ^^

like I said in first post I tried photoshop and didn't think much of it for the price.. I found it very hard/ complex to use compared to pdn.

FORDFPVANIM.gif

No. Bootcamp is for dual booting.

Parallels is more like Virtual PC, except that it has a Coherence mode that makes the apps running in the virtual machine look like they are regular apps ("outside" the virtual machine).

And search for "parallels coupon code" before you buy. I found a $10 off one on Chris Pirillo's blog (or however you spell his name).

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Ok Thanks once again

I'll be sure to do that I'm really looking forward to a top of the range iMac they seem very impressive! Paint.net was the only app I would have miss but now I don't

(p.s.. is it true that Parallels runs a little slower? I read that somewhere I'm not that concerned about it just curious?)

FORDFPVANIM.gif

well looking at what else is on offer eg... gimp inkscape artweaver etc.. Parallels is the only option

and just in case anyone else is interested I've got all the above and some other software installed and I have found (and remember this is my personal experience only!)

what has taken me 5 min to do with PDN I still can't do with anything else... simple things like transparency, rotating and resizing an image, adding one image to another.

I found impossible.

for my tests I am creating themes for my sony ericsson mobile phone and while sony ericsson has a theme creator all images must be made, altered, resized, rotated etc.. in a capable image editor now I'm not a highly skilled person when it comes to using software like photoshop, PDN, Gimp,Inkscape and the like but with Paint.net I can do what I need to without any frustration or the need to spend hours reading tutorials on how to use the basic function of a program or trying to workout how to compile one script just to edit an image.

So thanks to the Developers and Community of Paint.net what you have is in my opinion the best there is. and remember not all of us are uber talented graphic designers some of us get fed up and don't bother if a simple task makes us have a frankenstien moment and break something.

thankyou keep up your great work and I hope I'm not the only one hoping one day we will see Paint.net for OS X (although I think maybe I'm just in dream land and it will never happen) but I can dream.

thanks

debray6379

FORDFPVANIM.gif

• 3 months later...
You'll never see Paint.NET on Mac OS X. I just don't have the time to do that.

Thats is a wrong statment.

Its more like this:

*.Net is windows only

*the amount of P/invokes(if mono ever catches up, then somebody will just have to do these)

If paint.net was written in ex: Python, then it would have ran on all platforms ages ago.

Dont challange the lazy, he are godlike serius.

icefinalnm1.png

You'll never see Paint.NET on Mac OS X. I just don't have the time to do that.

Thats is a wrong statment.

Its more like this:

*.Net is windows only

*the amount of P/invokes(if mono ever catches up, then somebody will just have to do these)

If paint.net was written in ex: Python, then it would have ran on all platforms ages ago.

Dont challange the lazy, he are godlike serius.

icefinalnm1.png