Question About Copying & Pasting - Size Issues

Can someone let me know if I'm doing something wrong?

I open a new canvas and set it to 6x4 inches.

I then open a new file of a design I downloaded. That picture is 12x12 inches. I shrink it to 3x3 inches. Then copy it to paste in my blank, 6x4 canvas.

When I paste into the blank canvas, I always get the pop up that asks if I want to expand or keep the canvas size. I'm not understanding why this happens. If I copied a 3x3 picture, why can't I simply paste it into my 5x5 canvas?

Can someone let me know if I'm doing something wrong?

I open a new canvas and set it to 6x4 inches.

I then open a new file of a design I downloaded. That picture is 12x12 inches. I shrink it to 3x3 inches.

when you say shrink it t 3x 3 do you just pull in the corner tabs and leave the full screen at the original 12 x 12 or do you go to image and use resize?

Then copy it to paste in my blank, 6x4 canvas.

When I paste into the blank canvas, I always get the pop up that asks if I want to expand or keep the canvas size.

this certainly makes me think you have left it on the whole 12 x 12 canvas and are selecting the entire layer and not just the 3 x 3 picture.

if this isn't what is happening you had like Simon advised post a screen shot.{ of the full screen showing where your marching ants are when you clik copy} Its usually the quickest and easiest way to see where you might be going off incorrectly.

ciao OMA

when you make the new 6 x 4 you need to have the same dpi. the resolution needs to be the same as your 12 x 12 which is 300 the 6 x 4 is probably set at the default of 96.

when you open a new image of 6 x 4 make sure you also set the resolution the same as the resolution of the the 12 x 12.

that should fix the problem.

per Rick's message below.....that's not the best method just paste it into a new layer (you find that under edit along the top line)

the 4 x 6 stays the same size.

but I'm still thinking if you want to print this out at old Wally mart or Blacks they say it needs to be a higher dpi.

same with submissions to scrapbooking sites. They want higher dpi's than the standard 96 default.

ciao

OMA

Copy/paste is always done in pixels. DPI and inches/centimeters are not preserved or matched up. So it won't matter if source and destination are 6x6 inches (or whatever) if one is 96dpi and the other is 300dpi.

Trust me, the alternative is far far worse.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

You can't think about the canvas in terms of inches or centimeters -- only pixels. If you have something which is 300x300 pixels being copied from a canvas with 300dpi, then sure that is "1 inch X 1 inch" to you, but it will still be copy+pasted at 300x300 pixels. So if the destination canvas is 600x600 with a dpi of 600dpi, which would be the same "physical" dimensions, it will still only fill the top-left corner of the canvas instead of the full "1 inch X 1 inch" area.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

DPI only comes into play on anything when you try to print something. Don't worry about it until then.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I do digital scrapbooking and resolution doesn't really matter. I'm not printing. But even if I set my blank canvas to 300dpi, it still asks if I want to expand the canvas. Oh well. I'll just deal with it. Thanks for trying to help. :)

That's because when you increase the dpi, it increases the inch size to match.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.