recoloring problem

• 2 months later...

That help page is just about worthless. It tells you what 'recolor' can do, but DOESN'T TELL YOU HOW TO DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

And it DOESN'T work like the flood fill tool. Even at 100%.

:evil:

I want to replace a color over an entire image, and can't make it work. The best I have been able to get is a line across the old color.

but DOESN'T TELL YOU HOW TO DO IT!
Then someone is clearly too impatient to read.
You may left-click while holding the Ctrl key to select the primary color. Right-clicking while holding Ctrl selects the secondary color. This conveniently duplicates the Color Picker's functionality.

You may adjust the sensitivity for color replacement with the Tolerance setting. If this is set to 0%, then only exact colors will be replaced. If it is set to 100%, then it will behave almost exactly like the Paintbrush Tool.

Second and third paragraph respectively. It's not even like you had to read a few pages before reaching it.

When recoloring with the left mouse button, the primary color signifies the replacement color, and the secondary color represents the color to replace. If you use the right mouse button, these roles are reversed.

^ Myrddin, imo this is the more important part. :)

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

but DOESN'T TELL YOU HOW TO DO IT!
Then someone is clearly too impatient to read.
You may left-click while holding the Ctrl key to select the primary color. Right-clicking while holding Ctrl selects the secondary color. This conveniently duplicates the Color Picker's functionality.

You may adjust the sensitivity for color replacement with the Tolerance setting. If this is set to 0%, then only exact colors will be replaced. If it is set to 100%, then it will behave almost exactly like the Paintbrush Tool.

Second and third paragraph respectively. It's not even like you had to read a few pages before reaching it.

These paragraphs only tell you how to select the color being replaced and the color to replace it with. I repeat: The "help" page doesn't tell you how to use the tool. I understood how to select the primary and secondary colors. The problem is that when I try to perform the actual replacement of the color by clicking on the color to be replaced, NOTHING HAPPENS. The help page states that if Tolerance is set to 100% it acts like a Flood Fill. NO IT DOESN'T! I have tried selecting an area, but again, nothing happens. I have found that if I click and drag across the area, I get a new color line, but it's not always the colors I picked.

What's the secret to APPLYING the color replacement?

The problem is that when I try to perform the actual replacement of the color by clicking on the color to be replaced, NOTHING HAPPENS.
Then it isn't the Help page's problem, it's yours. The Help page(s) cannot account for every problem a user might come up against and have a solution ready, that's what these forums are for.

However, I understand you need to take your irritation out on something - we all need our vents - so at least you're attacking the Help Documents than one of us.

Therefore, minus the frustrated attitude you're showing, providing us with screenshots (as Simon asked above) would help us immensely in helping you. Perhaps the original image, during the operation, and the resulting image after the recolouring might be a good place to start. We can take you step-by-step into solving your issue and have you on your way both in no time, and as a happier user.

Does that sound okay?

• 7 months later...

I've been having the same problem as above. Because I primarily use the recolor tool when working on PDN, I think I can explain this problem *along with another I would like to see fixed*. To describe it, It would seem that there's a threshold for the tolerance that it won't cross. Raising the tolerance should widen the range and effectiveness of the recolor tool to the colors it can target, but even at 100% there will be colors that it won't touch as if it was at 80%. An example would be to take the Gradient tool, make a gradient from black to white. Then set your primary color to 50 V grey, right in the middle, and your Tolerance to 100%. If you try to recolor the whole picture I encounter 2 different recolor problems.

A. The recolor tool will only affect about half the gradient, the gray beyond about the half way point will not be darkened like the gray before it and a clear boarder between the effected darkened gray and the lighter original gray will appear dividing the gradient in about half. Because of this, it appears that 100% is really something like 50% of the absolute possible max threshold between two colors.

B.The recolor tool acts like a spray can. Since the primary color is 50V gray and the secondary is white, the white at one of the ends of the gradient should turn into 50V gray, Instead, the white is recolored 50V gray for one frame of the recolor, but the moment another frame passes *you either move the recolor tool even a pixel or release the recolor* The tool considers the image in it's zone *the white that is now 50V gray* if it was the original picture and acts again so it gets a second coating and turns to black. The shorter version, The recolor tool effects the original picture multiple times when it is moved rather than uniformly giving one 'coating' while the button is held down.

The picture demonstrates this, the top half is the gradient, and the bottom half is the gradient recolored like above with the tool sweeping over the entire second half with 100% tolerance.

12324_a7a4e021e8274d3b84ea43520ed8cc26