Can't copy shape

Hi,

I'm on version 5.0.13.8830.42291 and have an issue occurring which seems to be related to this, though slightly different. Tried changing the file type from pdn, to png, to jpeg but get issue on all types. 

Steps to replicate:

1. Open a blank image and paint the background white

2. Draw a coloured shape - I've been drawing an Elipse shape outline

3. With the shape still selected after completing the elipse, do a ctrl+c. I can see the shape is selected and I can make it bigger/smaller etc... using the mouse.

4. Ctrl+v to paste the shape to create a duplicate - entire image gets pasted. 

I can't seem to find a way to duplicate a single shape that has just been drawn. 

This used to work okay using ctrl+c / ctrl+x

Edited by jamanda
Missed that I'd set a white background in the steps

5 hours ago, jamanda said:

have an issue occurring which seems to be related to this

Sorry, but your issue is not related to the other posts, so I've moved this to a separate topic.

5 hours ago, jamanda said:

Steps to replicate:

You can't copy shapes like that. That has never been possible in Paint.NET.  It always copies the image as pixels.

Perhaps you used another program in the past.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

@jamanda  - as @toe_head2001 says, you can't copy shapes in that way.

This thread explains how to copy and paste an area containing a shape (or anything else):

It links to another thread that requests the capability to copy a shape directly while drawing it (as you thought you could do):

The best way to draw/move/copy shapes is to place them on their own layers.

If you have not used layers extensively so far, then it's worthwhile reading the Documentation on this.

Click the paint.net :Help: Help icon top right then Layers -> Working With Layers  or go directly here https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/WorkingWithLayers.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2024 at 7:55 PM, jamanda said:

Hi,

I'm on version 5.0.13.8830.42291 and have an issue occurring which seems to be related to this, though slightly different. Tried changing the file type from pdn, to png, to jpeg but get issue on all types. 

Steps to replicate:

1. Open a blank image and paint the background white

2. Draw a coloured shape - I've been drawing an Elipse shape outline

3. With the shape still selected after completing the elipse, do a ctrl+c. I can see the shape is selected and I can make it bigger/smaller etc... using the mouse.

4. Ctrl+v to paste the shape to create a duplicate - entire image gets pasted. 

I can't seem to find a way to duplicate a single shape that has just been drawn. 

This used to work okay using ctrl+c / ctrl+x

you might be able to fix this by adding a new layer before you add the shape, then add the shape, ctrl-c, and new layer again to ctrl-v and merge the two layersimage.png.c2e5f2f954817d463421e8cb0f70d769.png

The easiest way to duplicate a Shape is this:

1. Draw your Shape on a blank layer
  2. Duplicate the layer :LayersDuplicateLayer:

It's one extra click for each duplication.