Any good Backround Removal Tools/Addons

Hello, recently I noticed that a tool that I semi-commonly use called RemoveBG stopped working on the latest edition of paint.net, spitting out an error after attempting to put in the remove.bg API key. Seeing as older versions of the software are not officially provided, downgrading appears to be out of the question (unless I choose to download from a possibly less-then-reputable source.)

With this in mind, are there any alternatives to the aforementioned plugin?

Screenshot 2024-03-01 113757.png

File: C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects\RemoveBackground.dll
Name: RemoveBackground.RemoveBackgroundPlugin
Version: 1.0.0.0
Author: Copyright © Brian 2021
Copyright: 
Full error message: PaintDotNet.WorkerThreadException: Worker thread threw an exception
 ---> System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects\config.json' is denied.
   at Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandle.CreateFile(String fullPath, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, FileOptions options)
   at Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandle.Open(String fullPath, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, FileOptions options, Int64 preallocationSize, Nullable`1 unixCreateMode)
   at System.IO.File.OpenHandle(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, FileOptions options, Int64 preallocationSize)
   at System.IO.File.WriteToFile(String path, FileMode mode, String contents, Encoding encoding)
   at RemoveBackground.RemoveBackgroundPlugin.GetOrPromptApiKey()
   at RemoveBackground.RemoveBackgroundPlugin.OnSetRenderInfo(EffectConfigToken parameters, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs)
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.Effect.SetRenderInfo(EffectConfigToken newToken, RenderArgs dstArgs, RenderArgs srcArgs) in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\Effects.Core\Effects\Effect.cs:line 168
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.Effect.ClassicEffectRenderer.SetRenderInfo(EffectConfigToken newToken, RenderArgs dstArgs) in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\Effects.Core\Effects\Effect.cs:line 556
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectDriver`1.ThreadFunction() in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\PaintDotNet\Effects\EffectDriver`1.cs:line 367
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at PaintDotNet.Effects.EffectDriver`1.DrainExceptions() in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\PaintDotNet\Effects\EffectDriver`1.cs:line 538
   at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.DoEffect(IEffect effect, EffectConfigToken token, Result`1 lazyAllRenderScans, Result`1 lazyRemainingRenderScans, Surface originalSurface, Exception& exception) in D:\src\pdn\src_4_3_x\PaintDotNet\Menus\EffectMenuBase.cs:line 1622

Thought I wouldn't make the reply 10 miles long so the full details are in le file bellow

ERRORDETAILS-PAINTDOTNET-5012-202403011147.txt

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Pixey said:

@ThatOneUnoriginal there is also a free online site for this as well:   https://www.remove.bg/

The RemoveBG addon tool uses (or I suppose since it doesn't work anymore, used) an API key from that service. It would be nice to have an extension that does the work in paint.net instead of constantly needing the flip flop between my browser and paint.net

Edited by ThatOneUnoriginal

48 minutes ago, BDP said:

I see that WhelanB has not visited the Forum for three years and, anyway, his Plugin was for PDN 4

Brian

Yeah I noticed that as well when checking the GitHub repo for the addon (which is why I asked for an alternative addon that did the same thing.) Whilst I understand the reasons for not providing older versions of the software, damn is this a time where I really wish one was available.