Topological-Fill (or Topology(Connectivity)-Preserving Fill)

This is related to [Halftone with Vines]       --    Topological-Fill (or Topology(Connectivity)-Preserving Fill)              (Fill= Paint Bucket)

2xFortheForumTopologial-Filling.thumb.png.c7c869c8e4bc26e1c7c074ddccbc46ae.png

When i do White-FILL (Paint-Bucket  on the background) repeatedly,      eventually the thinnest Line will disappear.

With Topological-Fill,   a  Line will never disappear, so that we end up with thin Skeleton of figures (Shapes or Vines) --- How can we do this???

Edited by HenryH

3 hours ago, HenryH said:

When i do White-FILL (Paint-Bucket  on the background) repeatedly,      eventually the thinnest Line will disappear.

This will happen only if you have the Tolerance set to a high value such that the paint bucket fills the white background and the grey pixels that border the black areas as shown below.

Fill-tolerance.png

Each use of the paint bucket will eat away another layer of grey pixels. The thin line will obviously disappear before the thicker black areas.

Filling is not going to achieve what you want.

@HenryH, you are asking for a means of reducing the width, i.e. the 'fatness', of the black areas in your 'Begin with this' image down to a few pixels but without reducing the length of the lines, i.e. you want nothing removed from the ends of two leftward facing prongs. Filling, whether aliased or antialiased cannot achieve that.

Since you have stated that this is related to your 'Halftone with Vines' post, it would help if you could describe clearly what you are actually trying to achieve and why, because solving the puzzle that you have posed above may not solve the real problem.

Please give some context, so that people may be able to help you better.

On 1/1/2024 at 8:52 AM, HenryH said:

a  Line will never disappear, so that we end up with thin Skeleton of figures (Shapes or Vines) --- How can we do this???

The best way to do this is to create a new layer and redraw the object.

One way to describe the effect i'm looking for  is ...    it's like  [Sucking air out of a Rubber glove]

If the shape in the OP were made of Rubber (and filled with air)... and i suck out air,   the THIN line will not disappear and eventually i'll get to the shape at Lower-Right.

I don't recall a plugin that can do that.

Maybe G'MIC has a filter or someone has an idea of a convolution kernel which might do what you're asking.

See: https://legacy.imagemagick.org/Usage/morphology/#kernel (search within the document for skeleton)

• Upvote 1