corrigated cardboard - two versions - easy and medium dif

oma

two versions each teaches different method

When I first wrote this we were between version switches and the multi color gradiant was not avial (it was in process of revision). I did leave the old version further down just so you see there is always two or more ways to do things.

===============================

THE NEW VERSION very easy revisedupdatedtut.png

800 x 600

use multi color gradiant

color 0 BCAB85 color 1 A18F6A

check the alternating colors box and set the count as high as possible (20) angle is 90

4.jpg

on same layer now tile image set horizontal to 5 and vertical to 1 and make sure you check the box join edges.

5.jpg

time to make a duplicate layer.

6.jpg

and smooth just a bit the top layer using motion blur

revisedcardboardtut-1.png

uncheck the bottom layer (so you do not see it) and work on the top layer. see the top on is the blue highlighted one that way you know you are working on that one.

you will be using the selection lasso tool and taking out part of the side for the cut portion. so lasso your edge on top layer and hit the little sissor icon. you should see a checkered portion. This way you know you have transparency on that area of this the second layer.

at this point it is a good idea to feather the edge of that cut.

8.jpg

When you rip cardboard there is generally a bit of lighter portion this next gives those highlights. I'm sure you noticed that in the above picture the lighter edges in bit and places. here is what I did ..........

use the selection lasso and just catch in a few edges (we are still on the top layer)

I use under adjustments brightness and contrast.

9.jpg

7.jpg

we will give it a bit more depth now a bit of drop shadow (you should still be on the top layer !)

10.jpg

now is the time to just go in and check the bottom layer

11.jpg

flatten image

ta da easy version done.

====================================================================

THE OLD VERSION medium difficulty

This is not a difficult tut but you do have to pay close attention about when to duplicate a layer, when to merge layers and which layers you will be working on. I will type all caps where its important. Not shouting at you just want your full attention at that spot.

quick notes for beginners

quicknoteaboutbuttons-1.jpg

this example was done on 800x600

colors primary BCAE88 secondary D3C39A

1)

effects>render>lattice

on this same layer

effects>blur>motion blur 2.05 centre checked 116 distance

step2motionblur-1.jpg

"DUPLICATE THAT LAYER "

"ON THE BOTTOM LAYER"

effects>stylize>emboss at 90 degrees

step3aduplayerandemboss90bottoml-1.jpg

"ON THE TOP LAYER"

set blend mode to reflect at opacity 141

step4setblendreflect141tolayer-1.jpg

"MERGE THOSE TWO LAYERS TOGETHER"

"NOW DUPLICATE THE LAYER"

so you have two layers again

"ON THE BOTTOM LAYER"

use height to field plug in. viewtopic.php?t=2973

step5heightfield-1.jpg

this you will see changes the color to blue don't worry. next step will fix that.

you are still working on the bottom layer the height to field layer

effects>color>colortint at default ""BOTTOM LAYER"

step6colortinttheheightfieldlaye-1.jpg

"ON THE TOP LAYER"

set your blend modes to darken and opacity to 156

step7setblenddarken156andthenmer-1.jpg

"MERGE THE TWO LAYERS"

tricky bit for beginners

change the window size to 33% use the move pixels tool and clik anywhere within the paper

pull the nubs out to the edge of your screen. NOTE: the paper doesn't move to the edges just the nubs beleive me the pattern its stretched out .

step8stretch-1.jpg

after you have stretched the paper

effects>blur>motion blur o angle 90 distance

step9motionblur0angledistance90-1.jpg

"NOW DUPLICATE THE LAYER"

"ON THE TOP LAYER"

we are now making the smooth outer portion

effects>blur>gausian blur 11

step10gaussianblurat11tolayer-1.jpg

still on the TOP LAYER

use the lasso tool and do your selection for cutting away either sissors or delet button will get rid of that portion.

step11cutawayfromtoplayer-1.jpg

As suggested by LFC4EVER below

at this point after cutting, you can use feather or aa on this layer if you want a smoother edge. This is totally up to you. I didn't as I liked the ragged edge, but if you feel you want smoother now is the time to do so.

highlights still on TOP LAYER

Note: I unclik the bottom layer at this point so I can see the torn edge better.

use lasso tool again and just catch portions of the to cut/torn edge. Try to leave some areas not in the lasso portion.

step12selectedgestolighten-1.jpg

Use adjustments>brightness and contrast

anywhere between 7 and about 30

step13brightnessandcontrast-1.jpg

still on TOP LAYER

drop shadow

step14dropshadowtoplayer-1.jpg

go back and re check that bottom box so you see both layers again

""""MERGE LAYERS TOGETHER """"

you should now have shallow thin cardboard

thecardboardImadeusingthismethod.png

this ends the basic tut.

ADDITIONAL OPTIONS

at this stage to get thicker darker cardboard

duplicate your finished cardboard and set top layer to multiply play with the opacity adjustment down wards until you get the color you want.

some of you may wish to add frosted glass along the torn edge prior to doing the brightness/contrast edges step.

play with it

Good job Oma! You finally posted it, theres just one mistake where you say Duplicate the blur layer, but the arrow points to the Add a new layer icon. :D

EliteOverride25.png

:) Visit-> My Website <-Visit :)

Please Call Me Elite Override

The trick to flying is throwing yourself at the floor and missing.

thanks took me awhile to scoot down the number of steps to begginers level. I'd personally add quite a bit more on this but wanted to do simple, and easy to follow this time round. I'm more than pleased with how it turned out. It was more to answer those pesky questions about how to merge layers, duplicate layers, and set blend modes.

Thanks Oma, great work! It was well explained and this is my attempt (I know the tag needs to be feathered more and - lol - that's my poor attempt at putting a ribbon inside the hole, as for knotting a tie on it I wish I had the power to do it :lol: )

nastroinfilato.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...