Make select wand smooth?

Go to solution Solved by Srawb,

How do I make it, so that if I use the wand tool, it "part selects" edge pixels (like in the image attached)? I already set Selection Quality to "Smooth selection edges" but it still is exclusively pixelated (See second image attached). How do I make the selection smooth, so that when I press the Delete key, it isn't a binary "Delete" and "Don't delete", but rather a "Delete", "Delete partially", "Don't delete"?

image.png.b114868cd7c366eeb567c91efb3172e3.png          image.png.35abf04ff7d2a812731a78e59aa7718b.png (36% Tolerance)

28 minutes ago, Srawb said:

How do I make the selection smooth, so that when I press the Delete key, it isn't a binary "Delete" and "Don't delete", but rather a "Delete", "Delete partially", "Don't delete"

By "Delete partially" you really mean "Make the pixels near the selection edge partially transparent".

You could use BoltBait's Feather Selection plugin t achieve this. It is included in his plugin pack:

@Srawb please try this Plugin which may help.  AA's Assistant.

"How do I make it, so that if I use the wand tool, it "part selects" edge pixels".  Try lowering the Tolerance in the upper tool bar.

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

There may be some misunderstanding here.

Can you explain or show us exactly which part of your image you want to keep and where you expect the edge to be smoothed please?

Are the images you have shown highly zoomed screenshots in which each block represents an individual pixel in the source image? If that is the case, you can't have 'partially deleted' pixels; i.e you can't have a smooth 45° line running through the pixels (if that's what you are trying to achieve). Pixels are non-divisible; they can have a colour and a degree of transparency and can be wholly selected (or not).

19 minutes ago, Srawb said:

Both of these suggestions still do not work sadly.

The wand is not going to give you straight edges.  You must wand first, then use AA's Assistant, of Feather, afterwards.

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

2 hours ago, Srawb said:

It did not work as I wanted it to. Even after using that tool, it still didn't smooth the make the pixels near the selection edge partially transparent.

image.png.58e108a28c681498db8013914a4e3116.png

You're probably not using the plugins properly.

Let's say you have a line, (similar to the one above) like so:

image.png

I have zoomed in so you can see the individual pixels.

Without selecting anything (Ctrl+D) use the Effects > Object > Feather Object plugin:

image.png

9 minutes ago, Tactilis said:

There may be some misunderstanding here.

Can you explain or show us exactly which part of your image you want to keep and where you expect the edge to be smoothed please?

Are the images you have shown highly zoomed screenshots in which each block represents an individual pixel in the source image? If that is the case, you can't have 'partially deleted' pixels; i.e you can't have a smooth 45° line running through the pixels (if that's what you are trying to achieve). Pixels are non-divisible; they can have a colour and a degree of transparency and can be wholly selected (or not).

I am trying to do that. And it indeed is possible, as shown below (done with the Lasso selection tool). When deleting the selection, it works like I want it to work, where it makes pixels partially transparent. This for some reason does not work with the selection wand.

image.thumb.png.62ad6998d687f7155206bb988f43d1dc.pngimage.thumb.png.9d666719a8b71c3f3a271aaf66956554.png

6 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

You're probably not using the plugins properly.

Let's say you have a line, (similar to the one above) like so:

image.png

I have zoomed in so you can see the individual pixels.

Without selecting anything (Ctrl+D) use the Effects > Object > Feather Object plugin:

image.png

This does not work either, as seen in the background here:

image.png.6345986b2b950686cdc2d7ebb600cd79.png

Even if I have the object selected and I use the Feather Object, it does not work.

5 minutes ago, Srawb said:

Even if I have the object selected and I use the Feather Object, it does not work.

OK, here's where the confusion lies:

An "object" is defined (in Paint.NET) as a set of pixels surrounded by completely transparent pixels.

You're running an object plugin on a layer that has no objects.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Srawb said:

And it indeed is possible, as shown below (done with the Lasso selection tool). When deleting the selection, it works like I want it to work, where it makes pixels partially transparent. This for some reason does not work with the selection wand.

That's because the Magic Wand selects pixels (i.e whole pixels) whose colour is with a given tolerance of the colour you click on. There can be no concept of half selecting pixels; they either match the colour+tolerance or they don't.

• Like 1