Question involving printing. DPI, and beginning canvas size

Go to solution Solved by Tactilis,

Hi everybody!

1. Finished canvas size = 8.5 x 11.0 and includes both illustrations and text.
  2. Illustrations are @ 300DPI // Some dl as big as a barn, but by the time I'm finished altering them working @ 300 DPI for the final product, they are around 2-3 inches.  Copy/paste onto layer on text canvas.
  3. Now - do I need to make the finished form 300 DPI for my customers to print, or am I good to go, or do I need to make the form as big as a barn so that when I change it to 300 DPI it ends up somewhere around 8.5x11?
  4. I think I'm making this more complicated than it need be, but I'm lost and yes, I've been through all the tuts in the library.

image.thumb.png.bd03a43cad6c15eb3de2c9e583a149ac.png

Time is in the mind of the beholder  

A mayfly has 24 hours to learn its way around, fall in love, make babies, and write a will.

So.  How long is an hour to a mayfly?

Whatever you do, your customers will have to do the setup to produce an 8.5 x 11 print. You cannot control that if you are sending them an image.

Have a read of this https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/17049-dpi-and-you-understanding-resolution-for-print-and-web/

Personally, I would convert your image to a PDF, where you can control paper size, and send that to your customers. It will make things easier for them.

Edited by Tactilis
Fix typo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Excellent, Tactilis.  Yes, they are sold in PDF dl's.  Forgot about that.  Thank you for the referral to the DPI tutorial. I  looked through it yesterday, which is why I posted my question.  Great tut David wrote, and I learned a thing or two which, in thinking about it today, tells me I should go to town on my graphics in here (where I  have zero DPI problems), but do the assembly in Canva, which is geared for text-heavy printables.

End result: Annie's a happy camper.  I've finished today's creatives, so I'm off to play with effects.  SO much fun.

🤗

PS  Can you pass the word that the plugin install tutorial walks you through the old way to install using the copy/paste method?  It calls for accessing Properties via the Paint.net icon, which no longer provides properties on right click.  Now we get a list of recent activity, which is cool, but doesn't help the newbies, like me.  image.png.37d8d19fd029ccdbf474f46a6a2204d9.png

Edited by BMP

A mayfly has 24 hours to learn its way around, fall in love, make babies, and write a will.

• Solution
7 hours ago, BMP said:

PS  Can you pass the word that the plugin install tutorial walks you through the old way to install using the copy/paste method?

It calls for accessing Properties via the Paint.net icon, which no longer provides properties on right click.  Now we get a list of recent activity, which is cool, but doesn't help the newbies, like me. 

I think you are referring to the link "How to install Paint.NET plugins (A step-by-step guide, with pictures!)", which is referenced here https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/1708-how-to-install-pluginsgeneral-plugin-troubleshooting-thread/ (and maybe from elsewhere too).

This takes you to @BoltBait's tutorial here https://boltbait.com/pdn/InstallingEffects.php, which is illustrated using screenshots from Windows XP, so is a little out of date now regarding some details.

In Windows 11, you can open Properties by right clicking on the taskbar icon, then right clicking on paint.net as shown:

Paint-NET-Properties.png

Or if you have a shortcut to Paint.NET (on your Desktop for example), you can right click it and open Properties, or better still, select 'Show more options' and then 'Open file location' as shown dashed here:

Paint-NET-Properties2.png

• Like 1

Cool beans!  Thank you, Tactilis, for taking the time and effort to clarify.  Worked like a charm.

Whoa!  I didn't know that there's a BoltBait.com.  Bookmarked it in my Classes folder.  This community is a dream come true for me.

Edited by BMP