Is there any shortcut key + rotation degree to rotate a selection ?

Go to solution Solved by harbinger,

Microsoft Windows 11 x64 Version 22H2 (OS Build 22621.1778)
Paint.net v5.0.7
Wacom Intuos pen & touch small CTH-480
Wacom Driver 6.3.46-2

Is there any shortcut key + rotation degree to rotate a selection ( not entire layer ) ?

image.png.5c0623744f88a3d1452e31b3d6478229.png
Let's say I want to rotate the selected rectangle "Up" +90° as shown picture above, is there combination key like CTRL+Z+90 ?

Otherwise I have to manually rotate and match the rotation degree which is
slow and tedius.

Please advise.

Edited by rickygai

• rickygai changed the title to Is there any shortcut key + rotation degree to rotate a selection ?

One way is:

With selection 'selected' press Shift then, on the mouse(using the Move selected pixels :MoveTool:) right click on a corner and drag around.  It will move the selection in 15 degree increments.

• Like 2

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

13 hours ago, rickygai said:

Let's say I want to rotate the selected rectangle "Up" +90° as shown picture above, is there combination key like CTRL+Z+90 ?

@Pixey nailed it:

• Create selection.
  • Press M to activate the Move tool
  • Hold SHIFT key down.
  • Right click and drag (mouse pointer can be anywhere)
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 3:22 PM, rickygai said:

Otherwise I have to manually rotate and match the rotation degree which is slow and tedius.

Other people have given you the solution but I'd recommend have a read of the Documentation. In paint.net, click the :Help: icon top-right.

Specifically, see https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/MoveTools.html. You'll find lots of useful tips such as Shift to constrain the angle plus the ability to use the Right mouse button, as mentioned above.

The rest of the Documentation is packed full of useful information. Well worth a read.

• Like 1

Hi Tactilis,

Yes I am aware of that movetools feature before sharing the post here, but it is cutting off the image to rotate, leaving transparent at background, that's why I clicked harbinger 's feedback as solution.

I think is good practice to read documentation, and is fast to check with peoples here because it helps to pick up the Paint.NET fast by me and others as well.

I don't simply post, I searched this forum and google before posting, I also know Blender and use to rotate object selected via R+Z+90, and I feels that is so handy to do so, that's the reason the need to check with peoples in this forum.

Thanks for the suggestion.

2 hours ago, rickygai said:

Yes I am aware of that movetools feature before sharing the post here, but it is cutting off the image to rotate, leaving transparent at background

That's because your selection isn't a square.

If you constrain it (using Shift) to be a square when making the selection, then a 90 degree rotation will not leave a transparent background.

• Like 1