PDN 5.0 Color Oddities

Go to solution Solved by Marilynx,

Just updated to PDN 5.0. Quick and easy.

I am using the same computer and monitor I used under PDN 4.x, with Win 10. The same color pallets that I created Back When. I'm trying to do a practice course to train my two new Dachshunds on. I got some different sized bales in, so I'm making a new template.

But when creating my bales, what used to be orange is now salmon color. The purple, green, and blue bales have changed, too.

I just went and checked an older PDN file and practice course. The colors are as they should be.  The pallet appears as it should. But when I tried to use Color Picker to select the old colors, the appearance of the pallet in the old file promptly changed from showing orange to showing salmon. 

I was going to check to see if the RGB numbers were the same in each file for each color, but can't select the colors in the old file without changing them. The colors are specifically chosen because they come close to balancing the amount of Yellow, Magenta, and Cyan I use when printing a course.

Does anyone have any idea what the heck is going on? I attach a new bale showing the salmon color, and a clip of the old bales showing the former color.

Screenshot 2023-01-13 032021.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-13 034348.jpg

2 hours ago, Pixey said:

I just checked the colors from your samples and came up with these numbers:

color-picker.png

Right -- and the problem is -- I am using the same pallet for the original bales. The FF9C9C is what I got using the same pallet in PDN 5 that I used in PDN 4. And I want to know why.  And how do I fix it?

So, I'm getting a bit confused here.  Is the color in question FF9C9C the one you are having trouble with?

I've tried this color in both versions of paint.net and they are the same.

same-color.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Can you attach one of the image files you’re having this issue with? The only thing I can think of that could have changed in 5.0 is that it now correctly imports 32-bit CMYK images, but I’d need to look at the file to see if that’s related.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

2 hours ago, midora said:

Or maybe something related to "Apply Embedded Color Profile"?

Nothing from that is active unless you click on it. 

However, if the source image is stored as 32-bit CMYK, then the colors may look different between v4.x and 5.0. (they should look correct now)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

6 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

Can you attach one of the image files you’re having this issue with? The only thing I can think of that could have changed in 5.0 is that it now correctly imports 32-bit CMYK images, but I’d need to look at the file to see if that’s related.

Are you asking for a JPG or for the PDN files? The PDN files are kinda large. 300 dpi and 8" x 10".

8 hours ago, Pixey said:

So, I'm getting a bit confused here.  Is the color in question FF9C9C the one you are having trouble with?

I've tried this color in both versions of paint.net and they are the same.

same-color.png

Pixie, no, the problem is that what now appears as FF9C9C SHOULD be the colors on the left -- the pallet I am using has shades or tints of the same orange. (Also blue, purple, and green.)

6 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

This is the pallet I used with both PDN 4 and PDN 5. I created the pictures on the left with it in PDN 4. The picture on the right was created with the same pallet in PDN 5.

BarnHuntColors.txt

I tested a few of the colors in 4.3.12 and 5.0.

Perhaps we can all eye-ball these images and decide.  I think the pinks look the same, but perhaps the oranges may look slightly different? 

Pinks:

pinks.png

Oranges:

oranges.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• Solution
18 hours ago, Pixey said:

I tested a few of the colors in 4.3.12 and 5.0.

Perhaps we can all eye-ball these images and decide.  I think the pinks look the same, but perhaps the oranges may look slightly different? 

Well, I finally got the colors to work. I made a copy of my pallet, with a new name. I did add the purples to that one. I selected it  in 5.0. And all of a sudden, the colors were correct. And didn't change on me when I used the color picker. I have no idea why that apparently fixed it, but it did. 

See, the problem is -- I do not use pinks at all on these courses. I just included them in case I might have a use for them some day. (The Barn Hunt Association is forever adding things which must be on course maps, and since I teach a class in course building, the maps I use have to have all The Right Things on them.)  The only thing out of the red/pink group that I use is clear red, to put a red edge on the bale which is called an "anchor" block -- that is, it does not change position from course to course. So having my base layer bales turn up pink was an issue.

What was happening was that when I tried to draw a bale in medium orange with a darker orange edge, I got salmon pink. I would have the colors set correctly, and then when I started to draw, it would change colors, both in what I was drawing and in the color wheel. 

• Like 1
  • Hooray 1