Error when updating via MSI / Group Policy (v4.3.7 -> v4.3.10)

AIM

I'm getting this error in the Windows System log when trying to update Paint.NET via Group Policy using the MSI.

"Product: paint.net -- The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2753. The arguments are: msi_x64_scd_aot_paintdotnet_exe, , "

The existing install is 4.3.7 x64 and we're upgrading to 4.3.10 x64. The odd thing is that it's not consistent. Some systems upgrade without a problem. Others have uninstalled the previous version and then failed to install the new version leaving the system without Paint.NET installed. I've had to run MS's troubleshooter for installs/uninstalls to clean those up and get Paint.NET properly installed. 

If I run the installer directly after a failed install, I get this error dialog. 

image.png.c9c23b259fef2d7169d5bb107be72e05.png

Actually, I take that back -- the regular installer EXE will create that file.

You'll want to run msiexec with the appropriate logging/logfile parameters.

There may also be a %TEMP%\pdnSetupActionsInstall.log file worth look at or or posting here. If it does exist, and it's recent, it means that the MSI did its job but the post-setup custom actions likely had an error.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. I did find the "pdnSetupActionsInstall.log" file and reviewed it. I didn't see anything that indicated why the install failed. I'll look at what I can get from the MSI log files. 

• 1 year later...

@Dalrayes This is a year old thread relating to upgrading paint.net from v4.3.7 to v4.3.10.

Before posting again, please read the Forum Rules, which are linked at the top and bottom of every page. Note in particular #7 and #11.

If you have a question about upgrading to the latest version of paint.net, please start a new topic.

• Tactilis locked this topic