I downloaded the new version 4.3.8 twice now, but it will not open.

Hello @Bob Wylie and welcome :)

I'll assume you have downloaded the Classic version, and not from the App Store?

As you have downloaded it twice, I suggest you try this utility to clear your computer, so that you can re-install it again.

Here is the utility to clean your computer: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

And perhaps try the offline installer for 4.3.8 from here:

https://github.com/paintdotnet/release/releases

Good Luck!

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Hi Pixey,  I went to the link for Offline installer, but it didn't work either. I only tried one, but the result was the same. My computer couldn't open Paint. I keep getting the message about an error occurring (1603). I am perplexed. Where do we go from here? By the way, I love your aquarium. Wish I had time to explore your other creations, but I have to get back to work now...  

18 minutes ago, Bob Wylie said:

I keep getting the message about an error occurring (1603)

Did you use the utility Pixey mentioned?

Please use this utility to remove any previous paint.net installations:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

Afterwards, you should be able to install paint.net anew.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

When I visited your Facebook page, I had to join to view it. I did, and  was very disappointed. They had about 25 or so post for February and 23 of them were by one person, Jean-Baptiste Zappetti. It looks like they have made it their own page. I thought I could find some help there as well. They should leave the group, and spend time on theirs, so the rest of us could get a word in edgewise., ha! Just my observation.

13 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Did you use the utility Pixey mentioned?

Please use this utility to remove any previous paint.net installations:

Afterwards, you should be able to install paint.net anew.

I did & afterwards, I downloaded a new one, but it didn't work either.

19 minutes ago, Bob Wylie said:

When I visited your Facebook page

Whose Facebook page are you referring to?

If you can find the Paint.net Folder for PDN please try using the PDN Repair function:

OS (C:) – Program Files – Paint.net – scroll down to the  PdnRepair.exe and run it.   

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

53 minutes ago, Bob Wylie said:

the message about an error occurring (1603)

I just noticed this post from you., so ignore my post above.

Please try to use the utility we gave you before:, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed to remove any traces of Paint.net.  Some folks have to try it twice.  Also restart you computer after you've used it, just to be safe, then try to re-install.

Also, be sure all of you Windows updates are up-to-date.

30b8T8B.gif

Have you tried downloading an older version?  Also, what kind of Virus blocker do you have?  It could be blocking it.

When you say "It doesn't work" do you mean you can't find it on your computer at all?

30b8T8B.gif

@Bob Wylie Hi there

Let's start from the beginning

Are you downloading it from here?

image.png.68871f9016e635761c62ac241c2111

Are you getting prompted to save to disk?

Where are you saving it to?

The file downloaded is a Zip file. Are you extracting the file to another location?

What is the name of the location?

When you double click on the .exe, do you not see any windows open?

You may have to close some windows to see the dialogue window stating paint.net will be downloaded/installed.

Answering these questions may lead us to a solution or more questions.

If you get any error messages, take a screenshot and describe what you did to create the error.

• Like 1

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

On 2/22/2022 at 5:09 PM, Bob Wylie said:

I did & afterwards, I downloaded a new one, but it didn't work either.

When I got home from work, to my surprise, there was a new download waiting for me. So, I downloaded it, and there it was. A new Paint.net was soon attached to my browser, and now I can get busy with my new Paint.net.

Thank you for your help...

Bob