Trying to create this effect (Cast Raised Text)

Trying to create a dedication plaque for a game.  How would I create the raised cast text as seen in this sample...  I have tried to use object bevel but seem to get weird artefacts as if anti-alias isn't applied,  I've also played with drop shadow effect which helps but... Any better suggestions?

PlaqueExample01.jpg.55b50faaabd3264b5db517ccd6e953d8.jpg

Edited by madras seersucker

I had a go with this and indeed I found the odd problem with Object Bevel which tended to break up some of the curved parts of the text.

This is the best I could do in a 10 minute try using an appropriate font and mostly Drop Shadow and Object Bevel plus duplicating the font layer, darkening the lowest and slightly off-setting it. Not great but possibly on the right track.

1049987490_PDNImage.png.690a2a3107a9056dc1298ff0ea0b6012.png

Tried the Emboss and Metallize plugin too and didn't like them much for this particular job. 

Edited by IHaveNoName
typo
  • Like 1

IHaveNoName.png

Here is a tutorial by a member @yellowman that may be of help.  Whilst it was done in an older version of Paint.net, I think all the Plugins are still the same:

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

14 hours ago, IHaveNoName said:

I had a go with this and indeed I found the odd problem with Object Bevel which tended to break up some of the curved parts of the text.

This is the best I could do in a 10 minute try using an appropriate font and mostly Drop Shadow and Object Bevel plus duplicating the font layer, darkening the lowest and slightly off-setting it. Not great but possibly on the right track.

1049987490_PDNImage.png.690a2a3107a9056dc1298ff0ea0b6012.png

Tried the Emboss and Metallize plugin too and didn't like them much for this particular job. 

Apart from the duplicate layer (which does help) I get much the same as this, which is better.  What font did you use BTW?

I was afraid you were going to ask about the font. I went through a lot of my large font collection to find one that vaguely matched that in your example. This one was simply the nearest but I'm not 100% sure as I had about half a dozen open in different layers.

However it looks to me like it was that venerable but still good serif font: Times New Roman which I used in Bold.

Edited by IHaveNoName
typo
  • Like 1

IHaveNoName.png

7 hours ago, BDP said:

I like fonts, as well!

Wonderfully nerdy thing to post; I wouldn't admit anywhere outside a forum like this but I've spent hours on font searches just to get an exact match for particular purposes. It can get very frustrating because there are probably thousands of unique custom fonts you'll never match but when you been through 50+ pages of fonts there is something quite satisfying about finding the one you've been looking for.   

IHaveNoName.png

Not at all nerdy! I have worked in the newspaper industry for years (retired now), and the wrong font face can make or break the message you are trying to give. I have also modified and created new fonts myself over the years, and find it most satisfying

Johannes Gensfleisch zur Laden zum Gutenberg

(Brian)

• Like 1