How do I change the tone of a photo to a different shade of the same color?

Hello,

Attached are two photos named "Rich Red.png" and "Red Orange.png"

I would like for "Red Orange.png" to have the same color as in "Rich Red.png"

However, it doesn't seem as simple. I tried playing with the saturation and contrast levels, but it doesn't work, meaning that doing so degrades the quality of the image

The reason I need to do this is because I have plenty of similar photos that I want to change their tones to a much richer red.

In addition, something can be done with the blue as well so that it be similar to "Rich Red.png"

What settings are available where I can do that? Thanks.

Edited by account143

Can't you just rename the file? I.e....

1. Open "Rich Red.png"
  2. File >> Save As... "Red Orange.png"

If you want richer colors, try duplicating the layer and setting the top layer's blend mode to Multiply. You might also try enhancing the Saturation with Adjustments > Hue / Saturation

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Can't you just rename the file? I.e....

1. Open "Rich Red.png"
  2. File >> Save As... "Red Orange.png"

If you want richer colors, try duplicating the layer and setting the top layer's blend mode to Multiply. You might also try enhancing the Saturation with Adjustments > Hue / Saturation

Thanks for the response. My situation is a bit complicated, because there are other images like "Red Orange" that has the logo changing positions and shape, making it difficult for me to duplicate the "Rich Red" photo over. My problem with saturation is that it degrades the photo when I try changing the color, and it doesn't go for the shade of red that I want it to be.

If you or anyone else doesn't mind, could you please try changing the tone of "Red Orange" so it would be almost the same as "Rich Red's" and tell me the steps of how you did it so I could do the same to the rest of the "Red Orange" copies. Hope you understand. Thank you!

There's actually a easy way to do this, and I think I remember @Ego Eram Reputo have a plugin that does import color curve map.

I have made a filter called "Reverse Engineer Gradient Map" in G'MIC which basically creates a color curve profile by comparing via 2 images. This is what it looks like to get a match:

K6FOKbA.png

If one can import that 255xH image and then plug it in as a color curve map, then one has a quick step of doing this.

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

2 hours ago, account143 said:

My problem with saturation is that it degrades the photo when I try changing the color,

Are you saving it using "Auto Detect" for the bit-depth?

2 hours ago, account143 said:

If you or anyone else doesn't mind, could you please try changing the tone of "Red Orange" so it would be almost the same as "Rich Red's" and tell me the steps of how you did it so I could do the same to the rest of the "Red Orange" copies. Hope you understand. Thank you!

1. Open the Red Orange in a new layer above the other image.
  2. Set the upper layer's blend mode to XOR. The image will turn oddly black and neon green.
  3. Open Adjustments > Hue / Saturation and play with fine adjustments of the three sliders to darken the image as much as possible. Black here indicates the colors match, so you want it as dark as possible.
  4. When you're satisfied, change the blend mode back to Normal and compare (I got H&S values of -5, 94, 0 in a few seconds).

If you're not happy with the result, click twice on the Hue/Saturation entry in the History window to undo it and try again.

You can do the same trick using Adjustments > Curves or Adjustments > Levels (I suggested H&S because it's a little easier to understand the sliders).