How to move and resize multiple images on a background?

Hi, I'm new to using Paint.net. I am wondering how to select images to move or resize when I have several images open on a background to create a collage. It seems to only select the background and will not select any image I click onto. I know there is the selection tool but if images are overlapped and I need to reposition them, the selection tool is not really helpful. Do I have to use layers?

Edited by Ferg72
extra information

Hello @Ferg72 and Welcome to the forum :)

Yes, you would have to use the selection tool, then cut and paste into a new layer.

Here is a tutorial that might be of help:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=make+a+collage+in+Paint.net&docid=607996270752041718&mid=2C143F3961E974DFFCE62C143F3961E974DFFCE6&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

5 hours ago, Ferg72 said:

Do I have to use layers?

Your solution is right there, layers are one of the biggest reasons many use to use paint.net :D

12 minutes ago, MJW said:

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "I have several images open on a background."

Im pretty sure that meant he had different images on the same canvas and layer like this:
KxUEDhD.png
Images above are just from google that i put together, but you get the point

1 hour ago, LoudSilence said:

Im pretty sure that meant he had different images on the same canvas and layer like this:

That's sort of what I would have thought, but it doesn't seem to fit with the following sentence.

7 hours ago, Ferg72 said:

It seems to only select the background and will not select any image I click onto

I'd guess if it's anything like your hypothesis, the individual images are separated by a constant-color or transparent background.  In any event, I think it's the responsibility of the one asking the question to explain the situation clearly.

However, in the case where a number of separate images are on a transparent background, I will offer a procedure of selecting one of them.

- With a Selection Mode of Replace, use the Magic Wand with a low tolerance to select the transparent background.

- Use Invert Selection to invert the selection, so the non-transparent regions are selected.

- Choose an appropriate selection tool (among Rectangle, Ellipse, and Lasso) to select an individual image. For rectangular images, it'd be Rectangle.

- Change the Selection Mode to Intersect.

- Select an area surrounding the image to be selected that includes only the chosen image.

- The image will now be selected.

It's kind of complex, but it's the best way I know.

18 minutes ago, MJW said:

- With a Selection Mode of Replace, use the Magic Wand with a low tolerance to select the transparent background.

- Use Invert Selection to invert the selection, so the non-transparent regions are selected.

- Choose an appropriate selection tool (among Rectangle, Ellipse, and Lasso) to select an individual image. For rectangular images, it'd be Rectangle.

- Change the Selection Mode to Intersect.

- Select an area surrounding the image to be selected that includes only the chosen image.

- The image will now be selected.

A simpler way:
-Set selection mode to replace, and select your image so that it only includes the image you want to move (transparent pixels are ok to highlight)
-Set selection mode to subtract, and use magic wand to select a transparent pixel that is already in the selection
Now only the image should be selected with no other images or transparent parts selected

• Like 1