Desktop and App version constantly crashing (screen shots)

I used the desktop version for years, but seems after the latest Windows 10 Creators Update Oct. 2017, the program Paint.NET (desktop and Windows App) keep crashing.

I can't get the desktop version to even inastall, while the Windows app works but only allows me to edit one photo.  The minute I go to edit my second photo it crashes with the exact same error messages the desktop version crasshes to.

I clean installed Windows 10 Pro with the latest updates but that didn't help.

I am using a GTX 1080 with the latest Nvidia drivers if that helps.  Driver version: 23.21.13.88

Please help!

Thank You.

David

Edited by djtmalta
spelling mistake

11 minutes ago, paintnetjuzer said:

After a restart the paint.net program starts, but if you don't start it immediately after the reboot, it will crash. So now I usually have to restart my PC to use it.

Sounds like you may have a third-party program starting at boot that's interfering with paint.net.

Do you experience the same issue if you run paint.net in Windows Safe Mode?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

22 hours ago, igb99 said:

I have the same problem - with very similar error messages about access denied to a SessionData folder

Recently updated to Windows 10 1709 and latest Paint.net 4.0.19

I have reverted to 4.0.17 via System Restore, and that is working OK. I begin to suspect a change between 17 and 19 but because I used System Restore there is a chance something else was reverted to earlier at the same time.

My Windows 10 1709 has all current updates installed.

On ‎29‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:32 AM, igb99 said:

I have the same problem - with very similar error messages about access denied to a SessionData folder

Recently updated to Windows 10 1709 and latest Paint.net 4.0.19

7 hours ago, igb99 said:

I have reverted to 4.0.17 via System Restore, and that is working OK. I begin to suspect a change between 17 and 19 but because I used System Restore there is a chance something else was reverted to earlier at the same time.

My Windows 10 1709 has all current updates installed.

I can now confirm that this problem is not unique to 4.0.19. Just had the same thing happen with 4.0.17. It appears to be caused by Windows Defender re-enabling itself in the presence of another Anitvirus. In my case I run Webroot- so Windows Defender should be off. The latest Windows Update seems to introduced a bug where Defender can get re-enabled. It then seems to cause loads of problems with access errors in the AppData folder. These errors don't just affect Paint.NET. As soon as it is disabled - the errors go away.

2 hours ago, igb99 said:

I can now confirm that this problem is not unique to 4.0.19. Just had the same thing happen with 4.0.17. It appears to be caused by Windows Defender re-enabling itself in the presence of another Anitvirus. In my case I run Webroot- so Windows Defender should be off. The latest Windows Update seems to introduced a bug where Defender can get re-enabled. It then seems to cause loads of problems with access errors in the AppData folder. These errors don't just affect Paint.NET. As soon as it is disabled - the errors go away.

I use Webroot too.

But the problem still exists because Windows Defender is turned off and I still get the error.

It usually crashes when I'm right click trying to edit an image file. If I launch paint.net from it's icon, it starts normally.

Edited by paintnetjuzer
tested

If Webroot is restricting access to AppData, send your bug report to them. Or maybe Webroot has a exclusion policy you can set for paint.net. Or just uninstall Webroot.

For what it's worth, Windows Defender can now also restrict access to AppData in Windows 10, however, it (unlike Webroot) doesn't cause paint.net to crash.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

2 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

If Webroot is restricting access to AppData, send your bug report to them. Or maybe Webroot has a exclusion policy you can set for paint.net. Or just uninstall Webroot.

For what it's worth, Windows Defender can also restrict access to AppData in Windows 10, however, it (unlike Webroot) doesn't cause paint.net to crash.

Yes, the source of the problem is Webroot for me.

I turned it off (did not uninstall, just use the 'Turn off protection' function) and Paint.NET is working flawlessly.

I send them a bug report because seemingly it does not blocks paint.net in any way (no sign of monitoring it's processes for example) so I cannot solve the problem simply using the Settings panel.

Thanks for your help, tox_head2001

Glad to hear it's been sorted out :)

Looks like paint.net also doesn't work well if you turn on Windows Defender's "Controlled folder access" feature. So watch out for that as well!

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

2 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

Glad to hear it's been sorted out :)

Looks like paint.net also doesn't work well if you turn on Windows Defender's "Controlled folder access" feature. So watch out for that as well!

Thank you too.

They answered quite quickly: 

"Webroot is aware of the issue with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and working on it as we speak. Some other Apps are being affected as well. 

Thanks,

Daniel"

The topic: https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-SecureAnywhere-Antivirus/Bug-report-Webroot-Antivirus-blocks-Paint-NET/td-p/305187

Have you thought about just uninstalling Webroot? Unless someone proves it to me otherwise, I have to assume it's a bunch of snakeoil security theater.

• Like 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg